1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone is at it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Apparently there is a heroin epidemic in Vermont, and to drive home the point, RS used a maple syrup can with a lumberjack shooting up on the label as a depiction. Vermonters from Burlington to Bennington are up in arms, but I'll be honest, an as innocent bystander (one who loves Vermont, but with no emotional ties), I don't see what the big deal is.

This sounds like panties in a bunch kind of stuff. Reading through the comments, it's almost as if the fine people of Vermont don't care this drug is sweeping their state (like it is in other places), but only want to keep the fine reputation of maple makers intact.

http://www.wcax.com/story/25112827/rolling-stone-heroin-article-tarnishes-maple-industry

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The NYT did a huge story on Rutland's heroin problem and how the town is working through its problems.

The reporter came to Bennington a few weeks later and wrote another biting story, thus turning the town on its head. But good has come of it because outrage ensued -- NOT OUR TOWN! -- but the town also seems to be looking itself in the mirror and acknowledging the issues.

Shit, the state's biggest drug bust took place here 14-15 months ago.

That said, great cartoon with the lumberjack.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If I lived in Vermont I'd do nine kinds of drugs to get through the day.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In terms of pure beauty, Vermont's got to be high on the list.

I'm a city guy, but if you don't want to live in a big city, you could do a lot worse than Vermont.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vermont is paradise.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone did a story on the heroin epidemic in suburban Dallas-Fort Worth 15 years ago. The one that eventually did in Mark Tuinei.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The county I cover borders Vermont, and we are getting all sorts of heroin busts on the local roads that lead to and from Rutland.

Lots of burglaries, some pretty clear overdose deaths. It's pretty bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted