1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone covers sports? Really??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Dec 27, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a Christmas "stocking stuffer" I got the latest issue of Rolling Stone -- the one with the top 50 songs and albums of the 2000s on the cover.

Haven't subscribed to the mag in nearly a decade, and have rarely seen an issue at all in the past couple of years (it's smaller!).

Anyway, thumbing through the back of the mag I see a sports column(?) on p. 92. It's called "The Curse of the Bears" by Matt Taibbi and it's about how Jay Cutler has continued Chicago's decades-long run of awful quarterbacks. It was a pretty good column (with a funny photo illustration), albiet on a subject matter I knew all too well :(

So, Rolling Stone fans/readers, is this something new, or has Jann W's crew been sneaking sports into the magazine regularly in recent years? When I used to get the magazine from the mid-1980s through 2000, I don't really remember any sports coverage, unless an athlete tried to pretend he was a musician (Shaq the rapper) or an actor (Shaq-Fu).

Just wondering.

Oh, and even though Jann Wenner's magazine is better than I remember, the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is still a sham!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rolling Stone had a rather R-rated (but pretty good) profile of Tony Stewart last year.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Taibbi started his career as a sports writer. In Moscow.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You remember when? I must have overlooked it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Taibbi fucked up his '70s attendance numbers for Russian basketball, though.

Taibbi is my favorite writer. Couple of funny lines in that Cutler/Bears QB woes piece.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a well-written piece. Here's one of the zingers I liked:

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Toure and others have done sports profile pieces in the past, but Taibbi started writing a sports column in fellow Wenner mag Men's Journal a year or so ago, and I guess it was a Eureka moment for RS, because he's been doing these columns in Rolling Stone for a little while now. At least since football season started.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/22694010/where_theres_smoke

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't they also blister Eric Mangini earlier this year? Well-deserved, if so.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - he compares Mangini to Augustus Glop. A laugh out loud funny column. Could not find link to full story but here are a few passages:

Memo to Eric Mangini: The part of Bill Belichick's career you wanted to emulate was the Patriots part, i.e., the successful part. The part that came before that, the stint Belichick had coaching the Browns, when the future Hall of Famer was a monosyllabic control freak who treated reporters like carriers of the Marburg virus and micromanaged his players' lives down to scheduling their bowel movements -- all en route to a losing record in four of five seasons and the eventual removal of the humiliated franchise to Baltimore -- you probably wanted to skip that.
    Mangini's performance as head coach of the Browns has been one of the truly thrilling sports disaster stories ever, a sort of Hurricane Andrew of football mismanagement, replete with horrific losses and incredible tales of pointless disciplinary tactics"

Between taking out the capitalists of Goldman Sachs and Mangini Taibbi has had a great run.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Raoul Duke used to be their sports editor.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Yeah, it's kind of threadjack, but since the RS column on Mangini was referenced, here we go:

Mangini was an easy target in October and November. How about now?

And this is coming from somebody who wanted him gone then, too. Now I think he might have earned himself another season, especially if they beat Jacksonville next week and close with four straight victories.

But how many games did the Browns win under Romeo Crennel last year? And in four seasons, how many times did Crennel's Browns beat the Steelers?

Just saying.

Mangini is never going to be loved by the fan base, but it's not like he's a cross between Rich Kotite and Hitler, as Taibbi and others have painted him.

Draft saved Draft deleted