1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone asking for Greatest Live Act

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Have never been a hard-core Bruce-o-phile, but my wife got tickets when he came to our town a few years ago so I went just out of curiosity. Got to admit, he and his band put on a hell of a show even though I didn't know two-thirds of the songs. Amazing talent, energy. Saw the Stones on their last tour and they still kick it, too.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine who works in the music bidness up here in Canuckistan sent me a link to this BLOG.....I suspect it echoes the thoughts of many here, including me...

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2011/03/22/another-slow-summer/

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Kinda scary to think: Rhianna and Cee-Lo Green at the Gahden in Boston July 24, and they've haven't even moved a quarter of the tickets.

I'd be curious to see what U2 draws, given this is their third summer on the road. And if you want to see Arcade Fire, your best chance is probably with 80,000 or so close friends in New Brunswick July 30 at U2's finale.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

not scary at all. rhianna was advised not to book arenas, but her highness insisted. sometimes your handlers know best; hey, it's what you pay them for, right?

u2 will be fine.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's made a great difference in the quality of bootlegs as well.

I think it depends on who you see. It also stands to reason that you're not a teenager anymore. Shows will never be the same way they were 20 years ago when I was in high school and didn't yet know that most bands script the whole show, including the "encores."

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Scary?

What's scary about it, unless you're Rihanna and you have a road crew to pay?

I think it's hilarious. An act that overestimates its popularity and ends up on the hook for venue fees is always amusing. Be honest with yourself and know your place in the zeitgeist, I say.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If you're in the Midwest, the best place to see Arcade Fire is later this month in Indy. Still tickets available, they're with The National and it's a small venue of 5,000.

I was stunned (and pleased) that tickets still are available. The shows in Chicago booked up overnight.

Of course, it's Indy, so that explains why there's less of a press on the tickets.

I saw them on the Funeral tour and it was great. Although I felt out of place amongst that many hipsters.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I saw Toots and the Maytals a few times. They were great.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's happened to bigger acts than Rhianna. Last year, the Eagles did their once high-priced megatour too many. They really got killed in Foxboro when Taylor Swift booked her show the following week - sucked the air out of the market.
    Buffett is smart enough to take the occasional summer off. It'll be interesting to see if DMB pulls off its plan of four weekend minifestivals instead of a full-blown summer tour.
    Arcade Fire could not be accused of oversaturating the market, at least in America. They probably play at least twice as many shows in Europe as in North America. They also do a great job of mixing venues - they're big enough to play arenas and sheds in many cities, but last year, they hit small but historic venues like the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville and the Henry Miller Memorial Library in Big Sur (about 400 people on the back lawn).
    Even if they do get to U2's level, it's tough to imagine them carrying the big touring monstrosity U2, the Stones, etc. have, which is fine with me. Lower overhead = lower ticket prices.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Surprised no love for The Hold Steady yet. Lots of energy live.

I'm obviously going to say Rush and Wilco. One band that I saw in the 90s that stunned me with how much fun they were live was No Doubt.

I hear Milli Vanilli was the fucking tits live.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I've seen Wilco live twice. First time was great. Second time was good, but they did their "quiet night at the library set" midway through. And some asshole got upset because I was talking. It's a fucking concert. Not supposed to be quiet.

The only two big-venue acts I've seen are Pink Floyd and ZZ Top. But I'll take Gov't Mule at the Ryman or the Drive-by Truckers in Athens or Raleigh or Charlottesville or Richmond (you get the idea) any day over a big-venue event.

Draft saved Draft deleted