1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone asking for Greatest Live Act

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/weekend-rock-question-what-is-the-best-live-act-of-all-time-20110304

I reject it because Metallica won't finish Top 10, thus rendering the final list apocryphal.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The best three live acts I've seen are the Grateful Dead, Prince and The Band.

3. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Great poll question. Great thread.

My top three: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Counting Crows
    Honourable mention: Metallica, Foo Fighters, Motley Crue

I wanted to include Styx on here so bad but so much of that experience had to do with the setting (Red Rocks Ampitheatre/Denver) than anything that was said or done on stage. Still, very blessed to have seen that.

----------
    http://saskawhat.wordpress.com

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Personally: Springsteen and U2. Seen other good acts - but none that were close to those two.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

James Brown and the Famous Flames. End of thread.

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

The Dead
    Pink Floyd
    Pearl Jam

7. I'll never tell

Best show I ever saw was a three-hour marathon by My Morning Jacket, two-thirds of which was in the pouring rain, final encore was Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue with an interpretive dance done by Zack Galifianakis (Pretty sure he was in a spandex bodysuit). Also, Kurt Hammett also sat in with them for three or four songs, one of which was a funk cover.

The people there who weren't high thought they were because of the off the wall shit that was going on that night.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce is far and above the best live act that I've seen. Pearl Jam is second and Living Color are probably third. Was underwhelmed by U2 the two time that I have seen them. In the Bruce genre, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes are just an amazing live band.

If I see someone live, I don't want karaoke of their albums, which is why I think Billy Joel is subpar.

9. I'll never tell

I don't get the appeal with Bruce, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of his music to begin with. Two friends of mine, both from above the Mason-Dixon love him to no end.

The one time I saw him, at Bonnaroo, it seemed his fans all from NY, NJ, Michigan. The best part of the show was just sitting back and watching them.

10. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Of the bands I have seen:

1. Pearl Jam- Both times I saw them, they made MSG literally shake.
    2. Counting Crows- Never the same show, and Adam Duritz throws in alternate verses, extended version to some of their songs. A band that is so much more than "Mr. Jones."
    3. The Who- Never dull, always loud.
    4. Allman Brothers (at the Beacon Theatre)- Perfect band for the perfect venue.
    5. Springsteen- Not a huge fan of his music, but he put on an awesome live show.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I'm a huge fan of the Dead and like the Band a lot. I've seen th Dead, but never the Band in concert.

But, I think if I was to pick a Greatest Live Act, I would pick someone who's music wasn't so mellow.

While the Dead certainly bring a lot of improvisation to their shows, I think I'm looking more for energy & technical brilliance if I'm going to say they're the greatest. In this regard, I can understand picking Prince or Mettalica, even though I'm not as big a fan of either.

And, don't get me wrong. One of my favorite people to see live is Lyle Lovett, and he can be pretty mellow.

I'd probably pick someone like Derek Trucks or Jeff Beck who just blow me away live.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A couple of my best friends just rave about their shows and make it a point to se them whenever they can.

They play some pretty small venues too.

I've just never really listened to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted