1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone’s Top 500 Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that Missy Elliot is holding Jan Wenner’s family hostage. And that a song by Daddy Yankee is better than Thunder Road.

The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I saw this the other day, started to post it, but then realized the list was so absurd it was a waste or time.
    Music is - always has been and always will be - subjective, but this list is nuts.

2muchcoffeeman and Webster like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Absurd, but the only reason I appreciate it is it makes for a really good Spotify list to just hit shuffle on and be set for a few hours. Same goes for Pitchfork’s lists by the decade. Useless to read, but a really good Spotify playlist. Very few skips.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just added the playlist to my library

Wenders likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This is how I use them as well.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Some of the songs they have listed near the top aren't even the best songs by those artists.

I Should Coco and Mngwa like this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In your opinion. idk. Lists like this are always stupidly subjective, whether we're talking TV, movies, music, video games or some other form of art. Even deciding on the criteria for the list - are we judging a band / artist at their commercial or critical peak? does it matter if they influenced the greater culture or not? - is something that I doubt there would be wide agreement on.

I usually like the Rolling Stone list because it's essentially "here is the mainstream music critic Top 500." Since I tend to like music covered my Pitchfork, I also hit up their lists from time to time. There's always a couple of songs I managed to miss for whatever reason, or, didn't appreciate because of my age. "Maggie May" had a resonance with me in my 30s, whereas I didn't really give a shit about it in my 20s.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lots of great songs... and some that aren't. The order is straight up nonsense.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If this list doesn't have a dozen songs by Boz Scaggs and the Doobie Brothers, it's complete junk

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't have time to check the entire list. What number is Afternoon Delight?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear a death metal cover of Afternoon Delight. That would be fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted