1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling in a Ford GT

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Jul 13, 2006.

1. lono

lono Active Member

I drove a 2007 Shelby GT convertible last week - doesn't have the style, true, but it's $47,000 instead of $170,000 and zero to 60 mph is a still-respectable 4.4 seconds. Handles pretty damn well, too. ;D

And with the money you save, you can buy your wife a 5-Series BMW and your mistress a Porsche Boxster. ;)

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

VERY, VERY TRUE STORY.

About 6 years ago, when I was selling cars, local dentist comes in and orders a Brand New Steel Blue Dodge Viper with the Competition Group.........AWESOME CAR. Takes about 5 months from start to finish to get the car. Sticker price was right at $93,000. So, 5 months later, the car comes in......We get the car all set up for him to come get it.......week later, still no dentist........2 weeks later, nada.......So we call him.........he replies......."Oh shit, I'm not gonna be able to get the car.....I'm being sued!!!!!!!!!!"

So, here we are, a town of 30,000, only one other Viper within a 100 mile radius of here, and he wants nothing to do with trading it........$93,000 car sitting in our showroom for a couple months until a guy from Texas calls up, and says he wants a Black Plymouth Prowler.......for those who don't know, google the car Plymouth Prowler.........sweet..........ass..........car.

I get on our computer at work, find a Prowler in South DafuckingKota......guy says only way he'll let me have the Prowler is if we send him a Viper........I tell him, "I hope he likes Steel Blue!"

Was gonna be a couple days before we trailered the car to S.D.......owner of the dealership says he wants to take a quick spin in the Viper before it leaves........We go back in our parking lot, probably 800 feet long, by 200 feet wide.........he gets in this Viper, goes all the way back as far as he can, and just freaking romps the accelerator........threw me back in the seat, and before I know it, he's got this fucking rocket doing 50 in second gear.......he sees a pickup pull in front of him, and shuts it down just in time............

To make a long story short..............AWESOME CAR.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ford GT ... great looking car, nowhere near worth the price for the performance and, from what I've read, owners have had all kinds of problems with it. Basically, Ford rushed it to production and the problems and performance caught up with it. For $170,000, it doesn't seem to be worth it. The Z06 is still the most bang for your buck and the Viper offers the best looks and performance for anything close to its price range.

And this comes from a devout Ford owner (I'm on my third Mustang ... a beautiful 2005).

4. joe

joe Active Member

My '98 Cobra does 120. At least. With the top down. Half-drunk in the middle of the night on a straight-ass Illinois blacktop. I think.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

apparently the new porsche 911 turbo is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. 0-60 in 3.7 for something like $122,000.

[​IMG]

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Someone better than me at this site should set up a 'car you'd most want to drive' poll. Put the GT, Viper, Shelby, etc in it and see which'd win.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'd vote for anything they sell at...

www.lwash.com

When I got my new ride a few weeks ago (an '03 Explorer), I shopped at Carmax, which was next door. Though I'm guessing the other place was out of my price range...can't say for sure, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted