1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling down I-80 thread ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling down I-70 thread ...

But what about the full-sized semi standing on its head across the highway from the discount Christmas light place?

And what about the anticipation that, while you're driving past Braman that you might actually catch a glimpse of Bra Man?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you drive it on a night with a full moon, though, it's almost incredible. You barely even need your headlights.

My vote for worst stretch is I-80 across Pennsylvania. It just goes on forever, winding around mountains and through valleys. Takes eight of the longest hours of your life to get across.
    One time, I had the cruise control set at 75 for two solid hours. I timed it. According to our odometer I went 100 miles.
    Another time, I saw a sign for Williamsport, 39 miles. Abour 20 minutes later I saw another sign for Williamsport, 42 miles.
    I'm not sure if we were abducted by aliens or that stretch of road just warps space and time like the island on Lost.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several years ago, we had a car-horse collision on a four-lane U.S. highway around here. Let's just say it was messy. The horse pretty much exploded and the car was a convertible (before the wreck).

4. cfinder

cfinder Member

fwiw: Truckers Magazine, if i'm getting the name right (sorry, let my subscription lapse), annually polls its readers, and regularly their survey says....I-80 in Pennsylvania is their least favorite stretch of U.S. highway.
    and one they hafta use.
    my favorite exit: Jersey Shore, Pa.
    about 50 miles east of State College and 280 miles west of The Jersey Shore, N.J.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Thompson Street exit?

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

When I was a kid I-70 was being built outside Columbus. The surveyors came through and planted stakes in the woods behind the house of a friend of mine. We didn't want a freeway through our woods.

We spent an entire summer going through the woods, pulling up the stakes, and everytime they put them back in, we'd pull them up again.

I-70, of course, parallels old Route 40, formerly known as the National Road. Drove to California once and drove the old Route 40 from Columbus all the way west. Much longer, but a great, great trip, going thtough all the forgotten towns the interstate passed by.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oops, my mistake. You're right, I-80 through Iowa.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I-70 through Missouri is entertaining for two reasons: counting the adult bookstores, and playing dodge the pothole. Let's see Danica Patrick get through that four-hour stretch unscathed.

I-85 from Atlanta to Charlotte is entertaining, especially when the kudzu is in full force. It once prompted my dad to ask me why they're carving the trees into animal shapes. Nope. Not kidding.

48 in IL is among my most traveled byways. It gives you a chance to do the Larry King joke, i.e., when you're driving through the hamlet of Willeys, you get to say "Willeys, Illinois, HELLO!"

Plus, there's a place called Boody. "BOODY BOODY BOODY BOODY ROCKIN EVERYWHERE!"

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But if you peel off to Stillwater, the party never ends.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The only redeeming part about that stretch of I-10 is the speed limit is 80 from outside of El Paso until Kerrville, when you're nearly back in civilization.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I've done Florida's Turnpike twice. BORING ASS RIDE. I did try to count all the Yeehaw Junction billboards (that is the place where you get the discount Disney tickets for getting the number right?) and stopped at like 30...

Draft saved Draft deleted