1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling down I-80 thread ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Re: Rolling down I-70 thread ...

I-70 west from Salina to Denver.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Stupid-ass battery on the computer ran out an hour and a half before it was supposed to. Just as well considering we hit a big ass storm between Zanesville, Ohio and Wheeling, W. Va.

Speaking of Wheeling, the good folks of that burg are working on cobbling up $10 to spit on the grave of Football_Bat for besmirching their 0 interstate status. Could take a while.

Looking out my hotel window in Pittsburgh, we're in for more T-storms as we head east. This will be the running U.S. 22/I-99/U.S. uh, 221?/I-80, etc., etc. thread.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Iowa -- specifically I-74 from the Quad Cities to Omaha, Neb. -- is no picnic, but I'm not about to compare to some of these other stretches.

PS. I despise that fuckin' Paul Simon sign in Illinois, complete with bowtie. And who the fuck is Vince Demuzio, that he gets a stretch of I-55 south of Springfield?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Cows? How quaint.

We've had two bears killed on the interstates around ATL the past week.

Killed by being hit by cars, not by a driver pulling the 12 gauge from the gun rack, in case you were wondering.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

For those interested, Vince Demuzio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Demuzio

Illinois state senator who died from cancer while in office. Senior most senator in the state at the time.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've definitely referenced I-49 before. It's a fairly new interstate; therefore there's been hardly any development along it and between each end, it doesn't go through any major towns other than Natchitoches, Alexandria and Opelousas (which are all about 60 miles apart). And there's usually a Smokey Bear every 20 miles.

The absolute worst drive has got to be Florida's Turnpike between St. Cloud and Fort Pierce. That's 90 miles of flat nothingness on either side with one exit (the famous Yeehaw Junction) halfway in between. And you have to PAY to drive that shit.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's my vote. The only saving grace is "The Oasis on the Plains," and that ain't much of a saving grace (other than the Arby's).

8. Re: Rolling down I-70 thread ...

Wheeling, West Va. is beautiful at 5:22 a.m. I think that's about what time it was when I drove through there last.

I drive east through Ohio a lot during the fall, when I play fanboy season ticket holder for a certain major college football program that plays east of that state. I-70 from Richmond, Indiana to Columbus, Ohio is the worst. It doesn't hurt that the area from Brookville (or whatever it is, around exit 15) to Springfield has been under construction for the past six years or so. And Ohio cops are dicks. Two speeding tickets ever...and both in that horrific state.

Also was once in a wreck just before Dayton...thankfully I wasn't driving, though the guy I was riding with had his car totaled. The tow truck took us to his shop in Dayton. We walked in to find a guy with no teeth and soot covering his entire body picking apart women's watches. Then, there was an enormous sign above the door of the shop that said, "No drugs allowed near cars". The 40 or so mile ride back to where we were going took approximately two hours with tons of snow and ice. Yep, I love I-70.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, that's I-80.

And I'll cast a vote for I-35 from Oklahoma City to the Kansas state line. As Robert Earl Keen said, "The Road Goes On Forever".

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Starbucks, too.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That must be fairly new, but I guess it's been a while since I've been through there, thankfully.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed...

Draft saved Draft deleted