1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll Tide ... straight to NCAA probation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I know the headline is tongue-in-cheek (or I assume it is), but this is basically snake oil sold by a huckster. You think it's likely that Alabama officials "arranged" a meeting for its players with some random dude selling magic potion before a big game? The same dude who had been pitching his wares to anybody who would listen for years and had been sent cease-and-desist letters at least twice?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

At least they weren't getting free tattoos.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Snakeoil that contains substances banned by the NFL.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next we find out that AJ McCarron's mom used deer spray

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's what Alabama gets for scheduling Virginia Tech for the first game next season. It can't be like the rest of the SEC who typically punish players for something they did during the off-season by suspending them for the first game of the season, which is usually against Georgia State, Coastal Carolina or some other directional cupcake.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

By deer spray, do you mean silicone?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Let's not act like VT has a chance. Because it doesn't. I mean, it's a stronger opponent than Georgia State or Coastal Carolina, but let's be honest here.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only remaining player who has been named is outside linebacker Adrian Hubbard. Admittedly, Hubbard was Alabama's best pass rusher last season. But they're bringing in five-star Jonathan Allen, and Ryan Anderson will be in the lineup, and Denzel Devall showed some promise.

Drop one egg, pick up another. They absolutely can suspend Hubbard or anyone else for the Virginia Tech game and still expect to win big.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a positive test, though. I haven't seen any reports of positive tests here.

Also, the best part of that article is, "coach Mike Price announced."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Definitely agree. It's still refreshing to see an elite program open the season against a top opponent though... A&M is Week 2.

I wonder when the last time was that a SEC program opened against two straight ranked opponents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Virginia Tech won't be ranked, but Georgia did it in 2011, losing to Boise State and South Carolina before going on a 10-game winning streak.

Draft saved Draft deleted