1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll Tide-ettes! Bama Sorority Video Knots Nation's Panties!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love the facial expression of the girl behind the girl in the one piece. She looks like she just stepped in a fresh pile of shit.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She also looks like she skipped the weigh-in to join that sorority. I'd say 125 pounds is the max they'd take.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I checked up on that ... that's some effed up nonsense. Typical sweetheart government's-got-your-back deal. Nobody sees it for what it really is ... Basically the state let that sorority borrow its credit card.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They built it under the "Hos for the Bros" stimulus program, so it still fits under the football budget.

BDC99 and doctorquant like this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time the University owned all the Greek houses, but let the fraternities and sororities rent them for $1 per year.

The University owning the buildings is how they were able to force them to integrate.

6. I could see doing it for integration. Outside of that it's a losing proposition. A lot of the sorority houses are kept up. Most frat houses are shitholes.
    My fraternity has a national housing property company that buys property for houses. One of the perks of Greek life is cheaper housing, an in some cases meal plans.

7. doctorquant

The way UofA has done it "of late" (and I don't know how far back you have to go for it not to be "of late") is that the university sells bonds (at government-backed credit-worthiness rates) to finance the construction, then the fraternities/sororities make payments on the debt through the university. When the debt is retired, the fraternities/sororities own the building, but I am not sure whether they own the land at that point, too.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So a new angle on "Daddy's Money?"

9. doctorquant

Oh hell yeah, it's a new angle. At least Daddy's gotta be willing to come off the hip and take the risk. In this new angle, the people taking the risk don't have a choice. It's taken "on their behalf."

Re: the property ownership bit ... At UT-Austin, where my older two kids go, the Greek houses are owned by the chapters themselves. My daughter lives in a little place near where the Greek houses are concentrated, so I'm around there a good bit. It's amazing to me how elaborate some of the places are. The Tri-Delta house (owned by So-and-So Chapter of Delta Delta Delta, Inc.) looks like some very exclusive luxury hotel. It ought to, I guess. I just checked the property values and it appraises for (ballpark) $2.5M.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, sure, THAT'S why.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This one doesn't look very integrated.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the current form. The thing is that the last time Moody's did their bond rating it remained stable with two qualifiers: That the enrollment continues to increase annually, and that the percentage of out of state students (who pay twice as much tuition) stay as high or higher as it currently is. 2003 total enrollment was under 20,000 and in 2015 it is at 37,000. Enrollment as of 2015 is 51% out of state, 46% state resident. If either drops so does their bond rating, and the bond payments will balloon. So say, if Saban retires and the next coach turns out to be a Mike DuBose and all the kids from Texas go back home, they're going to be in one hell of a mess. Same if the education balloon pops or the economy craters, and the market is looking shaky.

The Alabama lege is currently tied in knots and in its second special session trying to figure out how to meet a $200m budget deficit when everyone ran on not raising taxes. If something happens such that UA cannot meet the payments on those bonds we'll be looking at a university which is too big to fail, with a one billion dollar nut to make.. It will devour the education budget. Most of the legislature graduated from UA Law.

Draft saved Draft deleted