1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll Tide-ettes! Bama Sorority Video Knots Nation's Panties!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Can we please, PLEASE, stop writing these "PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET ARE OUTRAGED!!" stories?

It's already the laziest type of reporting, and it's fast becoming one of the most irresponsible, too.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's been out there so long that even the parodies are old news:

3. MisterCreosote

I love how the school went out of its way to mention that 25 (!) of the 2,400 sorority recruits were black.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You were all for it when the frat bros at ODU hung their banners.

P.S. That said, you're right. We should stop writing these stories.

5. Dick Whitman

One thing that makes me a little uneasy about the criticism I see is that it's like these women are being blamed for being pretty. It reminds me of when people say they don't want gays "shoving it in their face."

I guess it would be OK if a bunch of heifers made the same video?

This is what they look like.

6. MisterCreosote

No, I wasn't. I was all for the school telling them to grow up.

This, on the other hand, is as innocuous as it gets. Pretty girls are pretty. BFD.

Save the outrage for the blatantly racist-themed Halloween party - it's only a month and a half away.

7. Dick Whitman

And, like I said, this seems to be driving it.

"Look at them, rubbing their prettiness in our face!"

If whatever Alabama's two-tons-of-fun sorority is made this same video, I have no doubt that the #hottakes would be about their inspirational confidence and "positive body image" promotion.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Would.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As foreign as the fraternity-sorority concept is to me -- when I went off to college it simply never occurred to me that I'd join one -- even stranger is the obsession that kids' families have with the Greek life. I've mentioned my golf buddy whose grandkids have trotted off to SEC schools -- the grandson at Alabama, the grandaughter (a high school classmate of my son) at Arkansas. Last I heard the granddaughter didn't make the grade with any of the sororities at Arkansas, and her mother and grandmother were apoplectic* at the thought. Now you have to realize that grandma didn't even go to college, and mom didn't finish college (she spent a few years at Texas Tech) and wasn't in a sorority when she was there. But apparently the very idea that granddaughter -- who was, admittedly, heavy into the cheerleading/social scene at her big suburban high school -- wouldn't be in a sorority was just too shocking for words.

Strange, strange to me.

*Hi 93Devil!

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe they wouldn't be criticized for their looks if they actually had women of different body types and looks in their exclusive club?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's the real problem with it, it's the message of homogenous exclusivity it implicitly communicates, "We're a club only for skinny pretty young upper middle class white girls--preferably blonde--with country club republican parents, and we only want members who fit that same profile..."

That said, if they want to communicate that message, that's their business. It's really nothing worth anyone's protest. If you don't like it ignore it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted