1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll another number: ESPN mag on pot in college football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Story complete with a quote from Harry Edwards. I like Harry but is he the only expert around.

Overall The Mag was a very good read this week. Dare I say one of best ever.

Might have been better and more apropos if Jones did something on Ricky Williams instead of Death of a Race Horse- Really good column but seemed out of context for the issue.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ESPN finds pot on a college campus. Yahoo finds a very generous Miami booster. Hmmm ....

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I can agree that this isn't like blowing the lid off the college bowl system or something shocking, but it's a valuable subject to tackle.

The story -- and to some extent this discussion here -- represents an underlying belief that pot is no big deal. That belief, frankly, is worth questioning. I know people who've been in Narcotics Anonymous, and I know people who work with those who've hit the skids in life because of pot.

It's not crack, sure. But it's really not as harmless as today's kids seem to believe. So when it becomes obvious that football players are turning to pot in great numbers, it's worth examining.

(Granted, if you took a good hard look at LACROSSE players ....)

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

lid.

Pun intended?

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

BREAKING: ESPN has learned that college kids like to smoke dope.

BREAKING: ESPN has learned that college kids like to get laid.

BREAKING: ESPN has learned that it's not news until ESPN says it's news.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hell, most of them probably all are legal:

http://www.oregonmedicalmarijuanaprogram.com/

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am surprised about the pot-smoking.

I thought acid was at the root of those uniforms.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. Next thing you know, someone's going to tell me that college football players like to drink a lot.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This, from Craggs...

http://deadspin.com/5903106/dope-scandal-why-is-espns-drugs+in+college+football-story-so-stupid

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The only thing less valuable than a magazine piece criticizing recreational drug use in college sports is a blog post criticizing a magazine piece criticizing recreational drug use in college sports.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The only thing less valuable than a blog post criticizing a magazine piece criticizing recreational drug use in college sports is an anonymous poster on a message board criticizing the blog post criticizing a magainze piece criticizing recreational drug use in college sports.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Clay Travis certainly hopes so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted