1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll another number: ESPN mag on pot in college football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty good reporting on the increasing use among NFL players and how that's rolled down to the college ranks.

Mark Schlabach wrote the main article, which looks at the image/eligibility problems for CFB: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7819005/ncf-tcu-marijuana-problem-just-one-many-elite-college-programs-espn-magazine

... but I liked this sidebar, on the pot culture among the University of Oregon football team, by Sam Allpour: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7819621/ncf-oregon-ducks-deny-drug-culture-eugene-espn-magazine

It's probably no exaggeration to say at least half the UO campus is smoking weed, and this article estimates the football team has a "higher" percentage than that. Allpour also talks to Bill Moos, now AD at Washington St., to show it's not just the Ducks who like weed in the Pacific Northwest college football world.

"These young people are growing up in a culture where smoking a joint is no different than having a beer," Moos says.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I got the giggles reading much of the story (but not the munchies).

It was well-reported, but marijuana is such a ludicrous thing to be worked up about (but it is illegal, so it's naughty to do) and I couldn't help but picture Nick Saban signing up to star in a remake of Reefer Madness.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting that Allpour got a current player to be so open about it. Then again, he was high.

4. JackReacher

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Clay Travis!

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-discovers-oregon-football-players-smoke-pot.php

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is there an article in that link?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tough to argue there. Not sure ESPN could pull off a similar piece if alcoholism was rampant in college sports, since the writer might have to go on the Budweiser Hot Seat on SportsCenter.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I mean is ESPN playing this up as some sort of demonizing scoop? It seems to me like the point of the ESPN story is exactly what Clay is making--it's not that big of a deal, and it's sort of silly that we pretend it is.

8. JackReacher

I agree with him in that I don't care that players smoke pot. Whether or not ESPN is trying to play this as some groundbreaking scoop....meh. Seems as though it's a secondary theme in the NFL Draft issue of the Mag, but they're playing it up pretty big online. I'm sure it'll show up on Outside the Lines, too. But no. I haven't seen a "BREAKING NEWS" tag or anything with it.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm with him on the expose on the Oregon cheerleaders ... nice photo!

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

It's the No. 2 centerpiece on ESPN.com. And I'd "Why isn't more being done to stop the illegal activity?" is making a big deal of it. It's the kind of enterprise and investigation that I've come to expect of ESPN, though: It demonizes the players more than the coaches or the institutions or the system, and no one will care about it in two days.

And where's the article about underage drinking? That's the No. 1 crime among college students/athletes. It's just an equally stupid premise.

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Ah. I had not seen the frontpage. I was referring to the U of O story, in particular, which Travis commented on. I don't think it took that approach.

12. JackReacher

It's all in the same package.

Draft saved Draft deleted