1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolando McClain, 23, retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 15, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9278165/rolando-mcclain-baltimore-ravens-retires-23

Eighth pick of 2010 draft. Just got arrested for the third time in less than a year after being cut by Raiders and signed by Ravens. Baltimore put him on Reserve/Retired list.

He does have that Alabama education to fall back on.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was he arrested for carrying a man purse on a chain? I hope they throw the book at him.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Another fine first-round pick by the Oakland Raiders.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Should I start the Rolando McClain: Hall of Famer? thread or does somebody else want those honors?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Amazingly, probably not their worst pick in recent years...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not even the worst from the state.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So, assuming he doesn't make a comeback, he'll be eligible for the Hall of Fame at age 28?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup...

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, by this time next year he will have 'unretired'. he'll remake himself with a rhab stint of some sort and reaize, like mayo in 'officer and a gentleman,' that he doesn't 'have nowhere else to go' than the nfl. mayo, of course, had no place other than with lou gossett jr. and debra winger....

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Covered McClain at Alabama. Among everyone I ever covered, he's at the top of the list of "most likely to commit homicide."

Every time I ever interviewed him, he just had that dead-eyed look, and that was on the good days. He was often openly contemptuous of the media, and you don't generally find that in college athletes, who will at least go through the motions if the SIDs and coaches lean on them long enough.

That said, he's an extraordinarily bright guy, and of course has a world of talent. But he's got demons from somewhere in his childhood, even if they're only between his ears.

That Nick Saban got as much out of him as he did speaks to what a master psychologist and motivator he is.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Uh-oh. He retired so he could turn his life around. One of my best friends is a cop and often observes that 100 percent of people in the process of turning their lives around die a violent death.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9283033/rolando-mcclain-explains-decision-retire-23

Draft saved Draft deleted