1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rogers cheating!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moland Spring, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

So let me get this straight - because I have a hard time believing it - because these two old curmudgeons coached together on the 1983 White Sox, essentially, LaRussa doesn't call out the other guy's pitcher for cheating? And let's him go out and throw eight shutout innings instead?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can you think of any other reason for La Russa not to ask the ump to inspect Rogers?

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Didn't Leyland work for/with LaRussa the last few years in some form?

4. Fubar

Fubar Member

Let's not limit this to North America. Lots of athletes from many different countries have cheated religiously in the Olympics and other sports. It's nice to imagine that all walks of life are pure and without devious have nots continuously working to get and edge on the haves. Unfortunately, that's not the way it is, and it'll never be that way.

I might be considered a dirty rotten scoundrel, but I look at what Rogers did like I do speeding on a country road or the freeway. Yes, it's wrong and against the rules, but you'll only be punished if you get caught by the authority figures. In this case, Kenny was caught, but he wasn't nailed by the umpires. He's been nailed by the nosy neighbors and now they're gossiping about it.

I imagine if he gets another start, they'll probably keep an eye on the palms of his hands. If he does it again, opposing managers and umpires are now aware that there's a chance Rogers is rubbing crap on the ball. While they're at it, why not get the base coaches to stay in the freaking box? Why don't they get the catcher to remain in between the lines? Why not make sure the short stop actually touches second base while turning a double play?

Since the dawn of competition, some folks work harder on excelling, while others work harder at cheating to get ahead. This is nothing new.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Happens every day. Unless the story starts to overshadow the WS, then the Gambler might get a suspension. Highly unlikely though!

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There can't be a suspension now. That horse left the barn long ago.
    There would have been had LaRussa gone out during play and had Rogers checked.

In that case, Detroit's pitching is screwed for the rest of the series. LaRussa had his shot to almost singlehandedly win a World Series and either chose not to, or choked.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He didn't know about it until after Rogers washed his hand? At that point it was too late.

Personally, I don't mind seeing The Genius getting blanked by a guy who may have been greasing up the ball. Anybody remember Julian Tavaras getting caught with a hat that looked like it had been dunked in a vat of pine tar a year or two ago? La Russa claimed it was an innocent mistake. Suck it Tony.

I also didn't realize, until I heard it mentioned today, that the umpires can't check a guy unless the other team asks them to.

If Rogers has been loading the ball up like that through the playoffs he's dumber than dirt and the luckiest SOB on the planet at the same time. I can't believe he wasn't caught in the ALDS as obvious as the "dirt" appears on his hand. Plus, he managed to shut St. Louis down for seven more innings after he cleaned up. If he was loading up the ball they had more than enough time to find one that was altered.

My guess is La Russa waits until Rogers' next start then demands the umpires strip search him on the mound.

8. Deeper_Background

There is a reason La Russa is the only manager to lose 2 WS with the long break weeks off.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

In case you hadn't noticed (and given most of the shit you post here, you probably didn't), both teams had the same break. Your comparison is totally invalid.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The only thing I could figure (and this is only conjecture, mind you) is that he knew his pitcher was also cheating. And he knew that Leyland knew. Almost a mutually assured destruction scenario: You don't nuke our pitcher and we won't nuke yours.

But even then, I make the move if I'm LaRussa. I'd trade losing Weaver for losing Rogers any day.

11. Deeper_Background

But then they would have sacrificed a beautiful friendship!

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

But then they would have sacrificed a beautiful friendship!
    [/quote]

Well, considering Leyland doesn't look a day over 95, that's also a chance I'd be willing to take if I were Manager Sunglasses.

Draft saved Draft deleted