1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rogers cheating!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moland Spring, Oct 22, 2006.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Do you think he stopped cheating after he cleaned his hand?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did I miss the sarcasm font on that one?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rick Vaughn: What's that shit on your chest?
    Eddie Harris: [wiping his finger across his chest] Crisco?
    Eddie Harris: [wiping his finger across his waist] Bardol?
    Eddie Harris: [wiping it along his head] Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeño up my nose, get it runnin', and if I need to load the ball up I just...
    Eddie Harris: [wipes his nose] ...wipe my nose.
    Rick Vaughn: You put snot on the ball?
    Eddie Harris: I haven't got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Once again, any chemist will tell you that pine tar is liquid resin.

It has the same properties as Rogers picking up the bag on the mound and mixing it with perspiration.

I do think he should have been tossed because Jay Howell was ejected for the same thing.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Lester Hayes used to play with that "dirt" on his shins... and everywhere else.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

But r-o-sin is not the same as r-e-sin, right?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rosin is a hardened resin.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well, if he's cheating, that would certainly explain why he's suddenly a good pitcher again.

but if he's using pine tar (stored somewhere other than on his hand) it would be on the ball and every time a st. louis player or umpire got their hands on the ball they would see it and he'd be caught red-handed, right?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

... Barry Bonds.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The controversy surrounding the brown substance spotted on Kenny Rogers' pitching hand during the first inning Sunday night is addressed in Rule 8.02 of the Official Baseball Rules.

According to rule 8.02(a)(2), (4) and (5), the pitcher shall not:
    (2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
    (4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball; [or]
    (5) deface the ball in any manner.

According to the penalties set forth in the Official Baseball Rules, "For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6): (a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."

However, at the bottom of the 'penalties' section is the following disclaimer:
    Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6) Comment: If a pitcher violates either Rule 8.02(a)(2) or Rule 8.02(a)(3) and, in the judgment of the umpire, the pitcher did not intend, by his act, to alter the characteristics of a pitched ball, then the umpire may, in his discretion, warn the pitcher in lieu of applying the penalty.

In this case, it would seem, the umpires felt that Rogers "did not intend, by his act, to alter the characteristics of a pitched ball."

-- ESPN.com

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rogers was overheard telling the equipment guy in between innings to "make sure that gunk is made in the U.S."

More on this story as it develops.

Draft saved Draft deleted