1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Staubach On Post Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is last years with Len Dawson - Looked much more comfortable.

In Staubauch tape you hear Bradshaw say "you gotta to give it up, you gotta to get out of here."

Seems like Staubach duty was just to hand to Goodell and step back.

You Tube has a Seinfeld quality about it. Only thing missing was Kramer spitting on Rogers jacket.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're clearly talking about Goodell, who stood there with the stone face he'll be wearing during contract negotiations.

Staubach hung around for a good 30 seconds after handing over the trophy. He was all smiles as he shook hands with the Packers brass.

Maybe he was miffed no one wished him happy birthday.

3. What doctorquant said makes the most sense to me. He started off with a big smile, kept it going for most of the way, but occasionally looked a little nervous as more and more hands were reaching for the trophy. Guy is older. Probably worried about dropping the trophy or himself.

Think the idea that he was a tightass is harsh.

4. Boom_70

He should have watched the tape of Joe Willie in XLIII .

Joe shows how to deliver The Lombardi:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d80e85708/Lombardi-Trophy-and-MVP-presentation

Roger looked like he was late for dinner.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Roger did all but shout "Get off my lawn!".

6. Boom_70

I thought it was Art Hartman presenting the trophy.

7. Boom_70

Navy man Roger Staubach was the cherry on top of the NFL's day of jingoism

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think , after watching Namath two years ago, he should be Presenter Emeritus. He is the "old guy" who still wants to be 25.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Staubach basically went back on stage to shake hands with the Packers' brass. It's as if he was so uncomfortable in that moment with Bradshaw and Goodell that he momentarily forgot that the classy thing to do is congratulate the winners.

It was definitely weird.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh ... and they should have had Bart Starr deliver the trophy. He was there.

11. I might be wrong because I didn't look at that part too closely, but it seemed to me he was more cramped and trying to get out of the way so the other people on the tiny podium -- or whatever that thing is -- would have the spotlight.

And I still don't really get all the stuff about him being cranky on the walk or any of that. Just didn't see that at all.

12. Well, now that might have made sense ...

Draft saved Draft deleted