1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Maris: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know this is random, but I was thinking about it today because Jackie Robinson made me think of Larry Doby. Doby is a guy who wouldn't be a HOFer without his historical contribution to the game - first black American Leaguer.

Maris lacks that social importance, but his historical importance is pretty obvious, particularly now, after the PED era.

Is there a place for guys like Maris?

I'm curious what everyone thinks. As much as I typically recoil against, "It's the Hall of FAME" arguments, it seems like he should be there.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He had two dominant seasons and some other very good ones. He is most notable for his power, but finished his career with only 275 home runs. No, he is not a Hall of Famer.

Maris is a fantastic example of a player whose case demonstrates why "It's the Hall of FAME" is a shitty argument.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not only do I say yes, I say he is the biggest omission out there. Talk about a guy who is essential to telling the history of baseball.

4. Dick Whitman

Right. I'm not making the case that his career overall merits it. I'm wondering if a guy like Maris, with historical value to the game, like Larry Doby, should be in a true baseball HOF. If there's a place for him. It seems silly to have Ross Youngs in the HOF and not Roger Maris.

5. Dick Whitman

Exactly. It feels ridiculously formalistic not to have him in there.

6. outofplace

So you only hate the "Hall of FAME" argument it suits you. That's fine, but that seems like a shitty way to evaluate things.

I honestly don't know where either of you stands on PED users, but I'm assuming you are for allowing some of them in? Because if Maris belongs for the reasons you gave, Barry Bonds certainly does as well.

The Hall of Fame is for the greatest players. Maris wasn't in that class. I get your point with Doby, but based on that premise, just because one guy gets in for that reason doesn't mean every player who is part of "telling the history of baseball" deserves to get in even if the career doesn't warrant selection. Where do you draw the line?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You can learn plenty about Eddie Gaedel at the Hall of Fame, if you want to. He's not in as a player (despite his incredible lifetime OBP). He's part of the "history of baseball."

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd say the 37-year holder (and by rights should be still the holder) of the most notable record in the game is a bit different from a one-at-bat curiosity.

9. outofplace

Agreed, but neither was a Hall of Fame caliber player. Starman's example is exactly why players shouldn't get in just for being part of the story of baseball.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maris' 61* season and its historical context is well represented in the Hall of Fame. Maris' career does not merit a bust in Cooperstown.

11. outofplace

bigpern raises a good point. Maris' place in baseball history is already represented in Cooperstown.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There is no way that a home-run practitioner with 275 career home runs is a Hall of Famer. And I'm awaiting someone to present evidence that he was anything special in any other part of his game.

.260/.345/.476 career. And more from baseball-reference.com:

Black Ink Batting - 18 (127), Average HOFer ≈ 27
    Gray Ink Batting - 57 (443), Average HOFer ≈ 144
    Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 89 (197), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
    Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 22 (652), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Please.

Draft saved Draft deleted