1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Ebert update: Holy Crap!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Roeper is doing a great job without him, but I hope he's able to get back to writing more soon. I used read his site every week. Now, it's only occasionally because of the infrequent updates (La-Z-critic!).

He's definitely the best in the biz. Even if he never returns to TV, I hope he continues his writing career for a long time.

Oh, and Mellencamp was friggin' awful as a guest host. His diatribe about how Roeper shouldn't compare an artists' work to his past work was a shameless plea for no one to tell him how crappy "This is ouurrrrrrr country" is. He struck me as a critic who didn't want to criticize.

They should stick to other critics or at least directors and actors who, you know, have something to do with the movies, instead of washed up rock stars pimping their latest album or book. It might be time to look into finding a permanent replacement, too, though I imagine they're giving Roger the chance to say if he's done.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In this business, it's important to have idols/role models, what have you. People whose work you enjoy and respect, and whose work influences your own.

Roger Ebert is one of the main writers whose work I try to devour at every turn. I think he's hilarious, creative, and frankly I like the fair way he reviews films, based on what the movie wanted to do instead of what he thought it should be. Unlike say, an AO Scott, who was mad that 300 wasn't as good as a Gladiator.

I opened this thread fearing he was dead. I'm glad he isn't. I hope he can come back soon.

:-\ :'( :-[

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My grandfather died of jaw cancer before I was born.
    The story is he had his jaw removed, refused to see anybody in the family after the surgery, told the doctor he couldn't let his children see him that way and was dead a day later.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree with Pern and Piotr, Roger is by far the best writer in the film critic business.

I had a friend who was an English major in college and he turned me on to Ebert's writings. You can see in his writing all the years of work he's put in to improve himself. Very inspiring. He's a joy to read.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't feel sorry for him. That's the whole point of this column. We're born, we get old, sometimes we get sick, and all of us die. There is no shame in what he's going through. I like the point he made. We don't talk about illness enough, and we can't stand to look at it, because it gives us the willies. It doesn't have to. Cancer sucks, but it's not the source of shame. If the tabloids want to mock Ebert for the way he looks, let them do so and expose their lack of humanity to the world. I love the fact that he'll walk, or roll himself, into the festival because he's choosing to live. I hope I'll be blessed with similar courage, should something similar happen to me.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Uplifting to hear someone stand up and say don't worry about me, I'm fighting back and damn if I am not the same as before.

I grew up on with Siskel & Ebert "At the Movies." It was fun watching their by play with Siskel coming across as the genteel fellow and Ebert sticking up for the everyday guy. I miss them. Glad to hear Ebert's analysis is alive and well. Thanks for the pictures Roger.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At the Movies was great. A rare show on a weekend afternoon that I never wanted to miss.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Loved the Vonnegut nod.

What a pro.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice profile: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/dining/01ebert.html?hpw

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted