1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Ebert: Again with the uppercut, and down goes O'Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Damn. He's good.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up. Way up!

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Bill O'Reilly = Squeaky The Chicago Mouse.

And boom goes the dynamite.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

outstanding screed!

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

That was awesome.

7. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

This reminds me of Ebert's "feud" with Rob Schneider and the single best movie review of all time.
    Still makes me laugh everytime I read it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/REVIEWS/50725001

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Squeaky O'Rilley

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

With the greatest close of possibly anything's that ever been printed:<blockquote> Reading this, I was about to observe that (Rob) Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I <i>have</i> won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks. </blockquote>:D

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stuff. I really liked this line:

Always a nice dig when you compare a political commentator to the worst comic strip this side of "Family Circus."

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wouldn't exactly call this a knockout punch of O'Reilly.

O'Reilly is so obtuse that he could still be standing up at the end of a 12-round fight, bleeding profusely from numerous facial cuts, both eyes closed, and be dancing around saying, through swollen lips, "he never touched me - never laid a glove on me!" That is, if he were to acknowledge he had even been in a fight in the first place.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ebert's gift is that he is capable of writing pieces that are air-tight. You may disagree with his premise or point of view, but his arguments (whether in film criticism or other matters) usually don't leave much room for escape.
    I read his old reviews of movies I've just seen or new reviews, and while I may differ in opinion, it's hard to argue with what he wrote. And when he takes someone on he does it in a language that hits home, a Pulitzer-winner writing to Schneider to say his film "sucks," comparing O'Reilly to an engorged and very delusional rodent? That's called using the right ammo.

Draft saved Draft deleted