1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Clemens Trial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Some insight into the stuff that Kirk Radomski might testify about can be found at this very easy URL:

http://sportstalk903.libsyn.com/interview_with_kirk_radomski_central_figure_in_the_mitchell_report_on_steroids_in_baseball

He mentions Segui, McNamee, Clemens, etc. (Interview is commercial-free, too)

And, speaking of Homer Bush, there was always a story around his urine standing in for Darryl Strawberry's.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Scott Atrocious . . . one guy who really showed his rabbit ears when on the field wearing a glove, during play. You could see the steam come up when a hostile crowd gave him shit.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But also a guy who did it right. Retired before his time so he could be home with his kids. Went back and got his college degree to set an example for his kids.

Most players hang on for every last nickle

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Roger Clemens' ego and delusional denials are costing the taxpayers a lot of money.

If Clemens is found guilty, he should pick up the tab and nothing more.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Brosius coaches here at his alma mater. Have enjoyed getting to know him. Has to be one of the most humble former pro athletes I've met.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good for him. Salute him, for that.

Nobody said he was stupid.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He is still capable of having steam rise off him.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Potential for a mistrial at this moment.

Judge in chambers right now mulling over possibility of a mistrial.

I may have this slightly wrong, but the prosecution showed video of Laura Pettitte (Andy's wife) talking about Clemen's steroid use (based on what Andy had told her).

Apparently that had already been decided not in admissible, or it wasn't supposed to be shown.

Clemen's attorney called for a mistrial, and the judge is now in chambers deciding.

NOTE: I did have facts wrong. Laura Pettitte isn't in the video. It is Clemens' testimony before Congress in which one of the Congressmen makes reference to her having said he used.

Here is an ESPN link to get a better explanation than the one I originally gave:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6768625/roger-clemens-trial-judge-mulling-declaring-mistrial-trial

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And we have a mistrial. It's like a rainout after four innings.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a huge move by the judge and from my vantage point was not really necessary. A trial is not perfect and wasn't really a major point IMHO. Its a congressman making a comment about what Laura Pettitte said, a sidelight that the jurors would have likely ignored.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

qt, I think the point is more that the judge specifically told the prosecution no mention of Ms. Pettitte was permissable in any way, and felt the video was flouting his instructions.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dear Clemens prosecution team: It ain't Monopoly money, it's taxpayer money your just wasted for your stupidity. Here's hoping the cost will come out of your pocket, not ours.

Love and kisses, the taxpayers of the USA

(or should this be in the "dimwit" thread?)

Draft saved Draft deleted