1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Clemens: Sugar Land Skeeter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 20, 2012.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Any word yet on if he might be making another start?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are they just yanking chains in Houston media, or could Clemens actually pitch in the major leagues?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8364582/houston-astros-owner-jim-crane-says-roger-clemens-pitch-houston-year

I see this as primarily a way to delay his HOF clock so he's in a window where the steroid outrage has died down a bit. I don't think he'll ultimately have a problem getting in, but this way his name wouldn't be on the ballot until 10 years after his real career ended, and he'd still be on there 25 years later.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Clemens will be pitching for The Astros in short order.

4. JosephC.Myers

Has anything been said about a third start or whether he might pitch for the Astros? Time's sort of starting to run short on pitching for the Astros this year.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I heard something yesterday that Clemens and Astros' owner Jim Crane are at loggerheads over when and against whom Clemens might pitch. Clemens only wants to pitch against contenders, while Crane says he doesn't want to corrupt the pennant race with a sideshow.

Looking at the Astros' schedule, here's what they have left at home (and I can't imagine Clemens would pitch anywhere else):

Today: Cubs
    Thursday-Sunday: Phillies
    9/21-23: Pirates
    9/24-26: Cardinals

So really, it would have to be this weekend not to be against a "contender," though all of a sudden the Phillies aren't that far out.

6. JosephC.Myers

I can see Crane's point on not making it a sideshow.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Pirates, Cardinals and Phillies aren't in a pennant race, they're in the wild card race so Clemens could pitch against any of them.

And if Crane's really worried about it have him pitch once against all three.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said anything about "pennant race" just that they were contenders (i.e., postseason contenders), which they are.

9. Armchair_QB

"Crane says he doesn't want to corrupt the pennant race."

My comment was more smart-ass than serious but we're not talking about determining who wins a division, we're talking about who the second wild card team is. St. Louis is five games behind Atlanta.

Plus, Houston is running a AAA team out onto the field every night already. Starting a 50-year old pitcher doesn't cheapen the pennant race any more than Houston already is.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Does the HOF clock stop if he pitches next year? http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8364582/houston-astros-owner-jim-crane-says-roger-clemens-pitch-houston-year

11. Armchair_QB

YES!!!!!

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

My only question is why is Clemens limiting himself to just the Astros? He was still very good the last time he pitched; I don't understand why one of the teams that is on the postseason 'bubble' like Detroit or Anaheim hasn't signed him yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted