1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Clemens: Sugar Land Skeeter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 20, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So?

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Who wants to bet 3OctaveFart he's on the active roster next month?

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I hope to see him get a call-up. If he can throw 88 in his first pro game in 5 years, he can probably ramp it up into the low 90s as he gets into shape. Any team looking for pitching (who isn't) would be wise to sign him immediately so that he's eligible for postseason rosters.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19983217/clemens-moves-closer-to-return-to-astros

I hate being right.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I actually think Clemens will help himself by postponing his HOF voting window by five years. I think with every year that passes we are going to have a much different view of steroids.

I think as more and more forms of performance enhancement are created and become accepted, it's going to be harder and harder to remember why we thought it was so morally outrageous back in 2012.

Besides, I am fairly certain that between now and 2032 (when Clemens would stop being eligible if he resets his clock now), someone who is in the HOF will either admit to using steroids or be discovered to have used. (Paging Mike Piazza.) That will change things, I think.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Good post.
    I think this is very much the case.
    He's vain enough to want one more moment in the sun, as always on his terms, but he also wants to buy a little forgiveness.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Clemens pitches in a game, would he be the first 50-year-old major-leaguer since Minnie Minoso?

Jamie Moyer and Julio Franco didn't quite make it.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Satchel Paige: three MLB shoutout ininngs at 59 for Kansas City. Take that skeeter boy! [​IMG]

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Wow. Had no clue Paige pitched when he was 59. I truly have learned something new today.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least they think he was 59.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Clemens solid in second outing
    Updated: September 7, 2012, 9:44 PM ET
    Associated Press

SUGAR LAND, Texas -- Roger Clemens pitched 4 2-3 scoreless innings for Sugar Land of the independent Atlantic League with his oldest son Koby catching him on Friday night against Long Island

The seven-time Cy Young winner pitched a perfect first inning before getting his only strikeout when he caught Brandon Sing looking to start the second. The first hit was a two-out single by Matt Esquivel in the second. He retired the side in the third and allowed one hit -- a single -- in the fourth. He retired the first two in the fifth before hugging his son and heading to the dugout.

He threw 3 1-3 scoreless innings in his first start for the Skeeters last month.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8350222/roger-clemens-solid-again-second-outing-skeeters

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I saw db had posted, I fully expected to be reading a gamer from Debka.

Draft saved Draft deleted