1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger coverage going too far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jul 14, 2010.

1. I'm no fan of Big Ben, but this seems excessive.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/07/14/did-roethlisberger-water-golf-course.html?sid=101

I know, I read it, which was the intended purpose, but I felt stupid after reading it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If that's a crime, I'd be in prison for a long, long time.
    As long as he kept it off the fairways and first cut of rough, it's fine.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That would be too far for a Pennsylvania paper. Not for an Ohio paper. Steelers aren't allowed to whiz on sacred ground.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I do think it's excessive, but there's another side to the coin.

With his reputation and what he's done to put himself under the microscope, he can't urinate in public. He can't be with people who urinate in public. He has to be 100 percent appropriate, 100 percent of the time, and only be with people who will do the same.

Is peeing on a golf course the end of the world? Of course not, and it's silly that the police were called. But if he can't see that he is under an absolute zero-tolerance policy, and he has to behave as perfectly as humanly possible, then he is as unintelligent as his critics have said.

It's one of those things where you get what you deserve.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did Bob Baptist do any original reporting on this?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Timmy's exactly right. Fuck him (Ben, not Timmy). He deserves all of this and a whole lot more.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

If an "Everyday Joe" did something like this, there would be no issue. However, I'm surprised that the golf club called police in to investigate. Sort of seems excessive. Roethlisberger should have known that this wouldn't end well. Unless he was completely clean during the rest of the year, Goodell will keep him for the season.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's not a big deal, though if you think about it, Ben's problem has apparently been keeping "it" in his pants, and yet here he's in trouble again for taking it out again.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Buddy of mine took a whiz at a better-than-average course once and got caught and scolded by a ranger. We thought that was pretty funny.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lots of the superexpensive homes on these superexpensive golf courses - like Muirfield - are built right on the course. They're only a few feet into the treeline. So if someone sneaks into the woods to urinate, they're flopping their junk out right in front of some nice lady and her Wednesday book club. That's how you wind up with a call to the cops.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm just glad his golf ball did not get charged with a tresspassing and destruction of property.

Ben made this bed, though. He has to sleep in it, but if anything crap like this might make people a little bit (not totally) sympathetic to Ben.

Draft saved Draft deleted