1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 20, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is this the "real" Ben Roethlisberger or the fake one that was making his way through the Iron City a few years back?

And I figure this was related to the American Century Tournament. I've got to think there are some stories to tell anytime you get that many celebrities and hangers on over three or four days in Tahoe. The gambling, the booze, the floozies. I didn't see too many wives looking on from the gallery.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09202/985312-66.stm

Roethlisberger named with eight others. Why is the name Stacey Dingman familiar?

Did these nine people make fun of the accuser?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How is defamation a sexual assault? By the type of words used against the person?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm sure the Washoe County Sherriffs Department will get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's how I read it, too. Did Ben and his friends hire a pro and things got out of hand?

Man, I hate to speculate or make fun of this. True or not, the accusation should be taken seriously.

6. Inky_Wretch

But defamation?

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Many news organizations have long held the position that identities of accusers/victims will be withheld in criminal cases but not in civil cases.

The thinking is this: Preserving anonymity in criminal cases is valuable for society as a whole because it encourages victims to report crimes against them without fear of their personal trauma becoming public. That in sexual assault cases in particular, there is a great enough risk that public exposure of victims will keep them from coming forward that news organizations will withhold. We want crime victims to come forward because society benefits from the prosecution of criminals. You can have an extended debate about whether that's a valid reason to withhold or not, but that's where we stand.

The civil context is quite different. The purpose of civil court is to give people (mostly) financial remedy for harms committed against them. There is nowhere near the risk of keeping victims of sexual assault from coming forward if they are identified in civil proceedings because it is such a rare step, especially absent an earlier criminal trial. Also, identifying the accuser in civil court prevents the system from being manipulated for the sole purpose of damaging the reputation of the accused. There is no major societal benefit in the transfer of money from a person accused of sexual assault to an accuser, while there is a societal benefit to locking up a criminal. The potential harm of identifying an accuser in a civil context does not outweigh the benefit.

Sometimes when there has already been a criminal conviction, news outlets will continue to give that blanket of anonymity in the civil proceeding too. But typically once you move from criminal court to civil court, it's off. That's why many news outlets began identifying Katelyn Faber once she filed her civil suit against Kobe Bryant.

8. outofplace

I don't get that part, either.

9. Why are these people trying to destroy America? First Erin Andrews. Now Ben Roethlisberger? Who will be next Carrottop? Andy Dick? Artie Lange?

Jebus!

10. Fixed.
    This suit stinks to high heaven.

11. outofplace

I have some serious questions about it, too, particularly due to the lack of criminal charges, but I don't think we have enough information to dismiss it yet, either.

12. Inky_Wretch

Florio on ProFootballTalk said he's seen the charges in the complaint and either Roethlisberger is guilty as sin or she's making it all up. He said there's no room for a misunderstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted