1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody else taken aback by the fact that the AP mentioned the accuser's name? I know this isn't a criminal prosecution, but why should that matter? Don't the same principles apply?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since she brought the case against him, it's going to be on public record, right?

I mean, anyone else that brings a lawsuit against an athlete or celebrity is named in the story. I don't see why that would change here.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm stoked to read KSK's take on this. The phrases "CHOCO TACO" and "PEW PEW PEW" had better be heavily involved.

4. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Anybody see any mention of this on the WWL? I wonder why there hasn't been any, at least that I've seen.

(I'm not being sarcastic.)

5. tapintoamerica

Yes, but a police report is also a matter of public record, and newspapers routinely decline to name victims/accusers of sexual assault even though the name of the complaining witness is in the report. I'm not saying the AP is wrong, necessarily; I'm just wondering why the standards are different.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Twoback just soiled his Steeler bed sheets.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As of right now, I see nothing on their homepage, nothing on the crawl.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Very odd. At least, it should be odd.

9. tapintoamerica

If I'm reading this right
    http://www.ccwashoe.com/public/ck_public_qry_doct.cp_dktrpt_frames?backto=P&case_id=CV09-02222&begin_date=&end_date=

the accuser has six aliases.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Sexual assault isn't funny, but I laughed my ass off at that.

This quote is yet another reason why the world needs editors. Terrible, terrible wording on so many fucking levels.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Draft saved Draft deleted