1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Athletics are right granted by G-d! Healthcare? Not so much.

I know that isn't what you are saying, but if you don't think that is the thinking guiding many of the people making these decisions in Utah, you haven't been paying attention.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I waded into someting I didn't intend to. But If the health system is private and the students are bearing the cost of it, then fine. I am not sure if that is the case, and can't tell from what you posted, because you said kind of conflicting things about how it is funded. All I am saying is that if those students' contraception is being subsidized by taxpayers, that would be the line where I personally have a problem. It's not because I am anti-contraception or I am a religious nut. I just don't think that you should be taking money from some people to subsidize other people's birth control.

3. The Big Ragu

Again, this isn't a debate I am really interested in. What I would say is that an academic department is central to what a university does. I think most people would agree with that characterization. So no, if we are going to have publicly-funded universities (and maybe that is the debate for me), my sensibilities are that the unwashed masses don't get to choose what it can and can't teach. It's a university. Universities teach all kinds of disciplines and they can't operate without academic freedom.

To the extent that contraception for students is being publicly funded, it's just not the same thing to me. It's not central to what a university does. And if there are that many people don't want to have to pay for that (whatever their reasons), it's wrong to force them to.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

What about ear infections? Is it OK to subsidize that care? I don't know how much most get from students or taxpayers. If anything it is to help keep the building open, but I guess in your argument it is still paying for these things by even doing that. College students are almost universally required to have health insurance. Sometimes they buy it from the university. They generally pay for their care at the university health center, whether ears or vaginas.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't intend for it to be a "debate," but a conversation. I was just trying to understand your viewpoint as expressed in that one sentence. That was all.

6. The Big Ragu

I personally don't think I should be responsible for your ear infection. If my saying that makes you feel any better, I don't think I should be your dependent either.

7. The Big Ragu

I'm OK with the conversation, I just am looking at it from what I see as a common sense standpoint, not necessarily the all-or-nothing stance you were trying to lock me into. If we are going to have publicly-funded universities, it's kind of obvious to me that you can't have a university without the academic freedom for the departments and curriculums to be independent.

That just isn't the same thing to me as subsidizing the contraception (or the healthcare) of the students (if that is happening anywhere). That kind of subsidization isn't central to what a university does.

8. Roscablo

So where do we draw the line on this, especially as expensive as college is anyway? Police services? Athletics as mentioned? Any other of the dozens of services students can get on campus that you do or do not agree with? I may have worded it wrong, but students are pretty much paying their own health care they receive on campus. They are required to have freaking insurance to go to school. They should be able to get health care on campus if they need it.

9. Roscablo

What is central to what a university does? Would making sure a student is healthy, safe, and well-rounded count while they basically live there and might have limited options elsewhere?

10. The Big Ragu

So again, if that is the case. ... If they are paying the freight for their health care, I personally think there should be no limits on what they are paying for (other than whatever services they can negotiate for the cost they pay). I have no problem with that. Just as I don't want you involved in my private economic decisions. If I can afford $X worth of B, D, J and Y, and I am the one bearing the cost, it's not your place to tell me I can have B and D, but not J and Y. I am paying for it. I am not forcing you to bear the cost.

If contraception is being subsidized by taxpayers on that campus? Again, I don't think others should be forced to pay for someone else's contraception.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was a student, my first year and a half or so, whenever I would get a cold or a cough, I’d go down to either the school store or the gas station right off campus and buy myself the cold medicine or Robitussin.

That is, until one day, I told this to my roommate, who told me to go to the college health center, where they gave out cold medicine and Robitussin essentially for free. Our student health fee, which was paid every year, paid for the meds.

Went down, told the nurse at the desk what I was dealing with, signed a clipboard, and got a package of meds and a Robitussin bottle. No fuss.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted