1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodney Rogers hurt in ATV wreck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Nov 30, 2008.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Saw this on the news tonight. First I'd heard of it.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/4052871/

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Crap. One of the good guys.

It had to be in Vance County. There's nowhere to ride any of those around his native Durham.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

As a 6-foot, 150-pound senior in high school, I used to play pickup ball with him a couple of times a week. Probably my greatest athletic achievement was teaming up with him on an alley oop. I'll let you guess which end I was on.

4. Sam Mills 51

I hope he had some money to give to his high school. Almost every video package one affiliate seemed to roll out during his prep days consisted of at least two dunks.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Don Rogers
    Reggie Rogers
    Rodney Rogers

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lots of good guys went to Wake. Rogers and Duncan are two that come to mind.

Josh Howard's a good guy too. He's just a dumbass.

Haven't heard any updates at all since Saturday. Maybe no news is good news.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tyrone Bogues, aka Muggsy, was also a good guy.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Muggsy was fantastic in a Curb episode a few years back.
    Just fantastic.
    And Rodney Rogers was always one of my favorite players. I guess I was in college and Wake was playing North Carolina State in what was a pretty meaningless Raycom game. And it was just one of those instant thrillers you couldn't turn away from. It went into several overtimes, from what I recall, and it was Rogers had just a sensational game. Because of that, I kept an eye on Rogers and would check the NBA previews to see where he was playing and keep an eye on the box scores to see how he did.

9. Terrible news. N&O reporting Rogers paralyzed from the shoulders down.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1319971.html

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Shit, that's awful.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible news.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know nearly as much about what kind of person Rodney Rogers was until that story. What a gift he is/was to that community.

12. Sam Mills 51

Rodney never forgot where he came from. With any luck, the community can now help return the favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted