1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodney King just got shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 29, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As a 10-year-old, you were out until 3 a.m. after watching Rocky Horror?

Please tell me I misread that.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I was 18. My friend's family was part of the act. Their youngest was the 10-year-old girl, who treated me like an uncle.

That night, before the show (I was doing lighting for that show), she came back to me (my girlfriend -- part of the show -- dumped me and the entire group, except her family, kind of disowned me) and hugged me and said she would always be my friend.

The next morning was when I received the news.

Guess it was a long story.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm sorry.

4. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Perfect. Awesome. Thanks.

5. HandsomeHarley

One of only three funerals I've ever been to, and the only one I cried at.

My father in 1977
    Hers in 1983
    My friend's wife two years ago

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Back to the topic at hand...

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Sun's full story on the King shooting is now online: http://www.sbsun.com/sanbernardino/ci_7595755

Excerpts:

- King says a man and woman approached him and tried to steal his bike. He rode off and they sprayed him with birdshot. He pedaled 1.5 miles back to his house, and called police, who took him to the hospital in Colton.

- He was released at 2 p.m. today, rode a cab home to Rialto and didn't pay the driver. "A woman who accompanied him home asked people standing nearby if they had money for the $10 fare. The cab driver, who waited about 10 minutes to be paid, sighed and threw his hands up in exasperation."

Fun times in the I.E.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What the hell happened to the inland empire? I don't know much about the place, but 20 years ago, I don't recall it being such a hell-hole (well, besides the obvious things like it's geography, topography, and smog).

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess Rodney's white Hyundai was in the shop.

10. HandsomeHarley

The crime was always there. It's just a lot worse now.

Thinking back, I was stranded at the bus stop at 2 a.m. one night in 1984. It's a miracle I wasn't killed.

I sure as hell wouldn't take that chance in 2007.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nah, San Berdoo/Rialto have always pretty much sucked. And I lived in the area for 30-some years. It's just worse now.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Used to be, there were pockets of areas in the I.E. that sucked (westside San Berdoo/Rialto being one of them) ... and the rest of it was livable.

Now, there are pockets of livable areas in the I.E. (Redlands, parts of Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga, Chino Hills) ... and the rest of it sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted