1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodney Harrison to be suspended 4 games according to Mort - obtained HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Aug 31, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

cor·rob·o·rate (k-rb-rt)

tr.v. cor·rob·o·rat·ed, cor·rob·o·rat·ing, cor·rob·o·rates
    To strengthen or support with other evidence; make more certain.
    -------------------

As the definition clearly states, there is no time element to the term 'corroborate.' Thus, ESPN's report is, as I said, being indirectly (as Harrison is not named in the PFT piece) corroborated (at best) by PFT. We don't know if it is or not, as Harrison's name isn't mentioned in the PFT entry which ends with a question mark: "Another wave of suspensions coming?"

Which is why PFT is, primarily, a rumor site. And in that capacity, it functions well. But if you want the actual names of the players involved, better luck tuning into Mort and ESPN.

In plainer prose (for Write-brained): ESPN reported it was Harrison, not PFT.

Weatherman 1: "There's a 60% chance of rain in Tompkins County, NY today"

Weatherman 2: "It will rain in Ithaca, Tompkins County, NY today"

BIG difference. Better information and PFT's having been burned before (hmm, wonder why a blog/rumor site is worried about getting it wrong? Not because it is concerned with how Slate/the 'real media' sees it, right? Nahhhh) is why ESPN named a name and PFT did not, in all likelihood. If PFT could have named a name, they would have. But they've been a bit more cautious about that lately (getting too far out on weak rumor 'limbs'), and they ('they' being Florio) recently said something precisely to that effect, I believe.

TSP - You sound like either a PFT founder/employee/etc. or else an NFL writer who agreed to be in the PFT fantasy league.

As many here could vouch for, I'm no ESPN flack, for sure. Just trying to help others who are reading this thread kno who said what, and how specifically.

Campeon Grande

2. I liked it better when you were masturbating to the hot chick thread and not your own exagerated opinion of yourself.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nope, just like the site! I learn a lot there. I also think the MSM does a disservice by ignoring sites like his. As the Slate article points out, many in the MSM are now following up on PFT's posts by calling front offices with the rumors and getting comments on them.

He was the first to report Priest Holmes was retiring or never playing again or something along those lines two years ago. Everyone else ignored that story until Priest basically was not playing anymore, fraudulent comeback not withstanding.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

(Note to mods: This post will contain my last interchange with Write-brained for the evening.)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ever highbrow, eh Write-brained. How are those 'standing room only' seats on the floor of the Globe Theater, anyways?

A final question for you, W-B: How CAN'T I have an 'exaggerated' sense of myself when I'm communicating with a writer/thinker of your abilities? SJ is just the ego boost I needed -- thanks for being there for me.

And now I cede the swing set and the rest of the playground back to you and your fellow recess-ees.

Peace!!!

E.C.G.

5. All the build up for that?

Hey, it's Friday night ... shouldn't you be out scamming on your brother's leftover skanks?

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Well-said, man. I agree with you, and I read PFT all the time.

Have a great night. :)

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This thread sucks.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Rokski, there's always a 60 percent chance of rain in Tompkins County, but there's a 100 percent chance you're going to write something pointless, convoluted and much longer than it needs to be.

9. Anyway, the suspension needs to be longer than four games. Obviously it's not much of a deterrent ...

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Watching NFL Tonight. Harrison told reporters that he was sorry that he used HGH and hopes kids can learn from him.

Bullshit.

Like Vick, Harrison's sorry because he got caught.

11. Exactly. He admitted doing it for the last two years, if I read right. He obviously figured the risk was worth the reward. Four games ain't enough.

12. This is going to be an interesting week at Patriots camp.

Draft saved Draft deleted