1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodney Harrison to be suspended 4 games according to Mort - obtained HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Sounds like there's more details to come on this situation...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2999994

2. I'm becoming convinced they're all fucking juicing. All of 'em. Football players to cyclists. Even Tim Couch.

Time to find new heroes, kids.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Any chance he still makes the Pro Bowl, like Merriman?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He can't. They changed it during the offseason. Suspended for drug-related offenses, you can't make the Pro Bowl.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[begin fake blue font]

I am shocked and outraged.

As a 'football purist,' I now feel disillusioned. What if Harrison made plays that directly changed the outcome of playoff games, or, Heaven forbid, the Super Bowl? What if he made a tackle on a guy that came up just a few yards short of setting a record? How many tackles/season fewer would Harrison have had if he had never used? I need to know these things, damnit!

Rodney Harrison, the * Patriot.

[/end fake blue font]

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Posted this morning on the best football news site on the Internet (according to Slate), Profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 9:29 a.m. EDT; 10:32 a.m. EDT, August 31, 2007

ANOTHER WAVE OF SUSPENSIONS COMING SOON?

In our discussions with various league insiders, we've picked up some vague indications that a fresh wave of suspensions could be coming soon.

Several suspensions for violation of the substance-abuse policy and the policy regarding anabolic steroids and related substances have been disclosed over the past few weeks. It could be that multiple suspensions have been pending on appeal, that they have not otherwise been reported, and that the appeals could be decided as soon as today. Once the appeals are resolved and the suspensions are upheld, the information most likely will be made public.

Stay tuned.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

ProFootballTalk.com is, without a doubt, the best NFL blog on the 'net, IMO.

Mike Florio (PFT founder and West Virginia attorney) recently hired a guy who does an AOL blog by the name of Michael David Smith. Smith does a very nice job on both PFT and on his AOL blog.

If Florio keeps this up, before long he and his site will be part of the 'real media,' which he can never refer to without using quotations.

In fact, Florio is so concerned about being affiliated with the 'real media' that he took the step of organizing a fantasy league for the upcoming season which consists entirely of NFL writers from, I believe, the 'real media.'

Nothing like an attorney (who's married to another attorney) portraying himself as David against the big, bad media's Goliath on the one hand, and then on the other hand currying that media's favor by making an NFL writers' fantasy league. ::)

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

So, the topic, then ...

9. For me, nothing kills a thread quicker than trying to wade through Rokski's convoluted arguments.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

*sigh*

Must we always go through this exercise, Padawan?

1. Thread Topic: Rodney Harrison to be suspended due to HGH usage

2. Topic subset: (from The Sports Predictor (TSP) in reply #5):

ProFootballTalk.com (PFT) reports more suspensions could be in the works related to performance-enhancing drugs (PED's); The Sports Predictor correctly says Slate calls PFT the best news source on the 'net.

2a. TSP's post's relevance to topic:

Giving possible corroboration to ESPN's report on Harrison

3. My post's (reply #6) relevance to the thread topic:

Commenting on a site which is possibly (as in 'Another wave of suspensions coming soon?') corroborating the story. The relevance of my post is to give some background on that 'possibly corroborating' site's chief writer/editor, so that other readers who might otherwise take PFT's word as 'newsworthy' understand that they are dealing with, primarily, a rumor site whose founder's agenda (David/Goliath media case as example) might not always be clear. In other words, reader beware. Particularly, as concerns this thread, beware of believing absolutely that Harrison might be getting suspended if you're basing in on PFT's info.

Hope that helps. Thank you for playing Kato to my Clousteau, young Padawan.

Lightsaber instruction's in 15 minutes.

El Gran Campeon

11. Rokski: A hero in his own head.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand PFT posted that blurb THIS MORNING, well before Harrison's suspension was announced.

Draft saved Draft deleted