1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodman, Mullin in Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And explain to me how Rodman was that much better offensively than Wallace?

2. mb

mb Active Member

Gives hope to guys everywhere that were never good enough to be first- or second-team all-NBA.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

there haven't been many -- or any (and rodman averaged 13.1 boards, to be precise). but he was a one-trick pony. how many hof'ers average just 7.3 points? and made only 58% of their free throws? let's be real -- the only guys who can claim to hof'ers due to their defensive skills are centers, 'cause they changed games. and even the best defensive player EVER, bill russell, averaged more than 15 points a game, too. and he was the focal point, the impertus, for all those celtics title teams, not a 'role player.'

hey, like i've said, rodman's in the hall. god bless him. that doesn't mean we can't be of the opinion that the voters were duped into buying that rodman was more important than he was.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I find Rodman to be much more offensive than Wallace...bad joke, I know. But think about it, this is a guy that kicked a photog in the nuts in a childish tantrum. Now he will be giving a Hall of Fame speech. If he was a lock guy, like a Barkley or Jordan, that's one thing...but he is a marginal HOF guy with a history of deplorable behavior on and off the court. I agree with the thought that the more I think about Rodman in the HOF, the less I like it.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He's basketball's version of Phil Rizzuto -- gets into the Hall because of his tremendous fortune of having good and greats around him.

If he doesn't play with Jordan or Dumars or Thomas, etc., if he produces the same results with the Warriors or the Clippers, no way does this day come.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

And I might as well share my Rodman story, even though I have told it before and this will out me if you have heard me tell it...
    1994-95 season, when Rodman was with the Spurs. I was in the San Antonio locker room after a game in Cleveland. Bob Hill must have had friends in Cleveland because he let a couple of kids, about 10 years old, come into the locker room after the game...the sons of his area friend. The kids looked a little scared, who wouldn't as a 10 year-old among a bunch of giants in the somewhat cramped visiting locker room at Gund Arena? Vinny Del Negro calls the kids over, chats for a second or two and signs the basketball cards they had. Avery Johnson did the same thing. Same with David Robinson. So these kids are loosening up and having a good time.
    Then Rodman comes out of the shower wearing only a towel. He walks to his locker, and the kids go over to him. Rodman turns around and looks down at the kids with a "what the fuck do you want?" attitude. One of the kids sheepishly asks, "Mr. Rodman, will you please sign my basketball card?" This is exactly what he asks, very politely (I was standing, maybe, three feet away shooting the shit with another player and we were both kind of watching this scene unfold to see what would happen).
    Rodman does not even answer, he just drops his towel, turns around, bends over and starts looking for something in the bottom of his locker. So this kid has Rodman's nasty open ass a maximum of 6-8 inches from his nose, and just stands there for a few seconds...probably shocked at what was happening. Both kids finally wandered away without a word from Rodman.

Dennis Rodman, Hall of Fame Asshole. I am sure those kids have a wonderful memory of their trip into San Antonio's locker room.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually saw Rodman on his best behavior when he was with the Bulls. I remember after a game, the entire world seemed to be surrounding Jordan at his locker and Pippen and Rodman were at their lockers with a few stragglers. Pippen was pouting about it and Rodman seemed to welcome any reporter who would talk to him. This would have been his second year in Chicago and he was on his best behavior. I stood at his locker and had him compare the Pistons team he was on to the Bulls team he was on and he was polite (even at times overly so) and was great to deal with.

A few weeks later he was back in town again and was a nightmare and this was after a game where he played great, so you just never know with him.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Mentioned this on the other thread... but it astonishes me that anyone could seriously suggest Reggie Miller is a hall of famer and Rodman isn't.

Yes, Rodman is a douchebag. He also won seven consecutive rebounding titles, and the dude was 6'6". He was a two-time defensive player of the year and a key player in 5 championships.

Reggie Miller was a one-dimensional scorer... who didn't actually score all that much. He's not even the most hall-worthy player in his immediate family.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ok, Cheryl was better. No argument there.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Some of the things being said in this thread are just absurd.

Krause having nothing to do with the Bulls winning championships? Insane. Maybe how much he had to do with them can be debated, but he certainly had a nice contribution helping build around Jordan.

Krause is not a HOFer to me, I think he had a great hand in helping set up the Bulls' success.

People look at Rodman as a one-trick phony, and so be it, but that one trick was HUGE. It meant countless extra possessions for the Bulls. It meant one-and-done for opponents. It meant that once the Bulls built a large enough lead, good night. You weren't getting second-chance opportunities and they would continue to get those.

He was also an outstanding defender, locked up whoever at the biggest of moments. If he hadn't gotten under Karl Malone's skin more often than not in the Finals, the Jazz should have at least one title. Jordan gave the Bulls their swagger, but Rodman carried it out. He is absolutely NOT a role player and a very important cog to championship teams. Invaluable, I would argue.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Two-dimensional ... he was one of the most outstanding free throw shooters of his time in addition to his 3-point prowess. The free throw shooting was an attribute he could build on thanks to his great acting skills in drawing fouls while running through defenders.

But aside from that? Miller is no Hall Of Famer in any other aspect of his game. Not even close. And absurd as it may sound in hindsight, he was not the number one scoring option on the Pacers at any time that Chuck Person and Rik Smits were on the roster.

Larry Brown and Larry Bird always tried to establish Smits as the primary scorer first, and if he and his glass feet couldn't get the job done, then Miller got his shots.

Even great shooters are erratic, and having covered a significant amount of Miller's games from 1993-2002, he dropped plenty of 2-for-17s to go with his electric performances.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Enjoyed watching Shaq attempt to chase Sabonis and Sabonis bounce off Shaq. Don't know if Sabonis was the best passing center ever, but it was pretty to watch him weave the leather around. Seemed like a damn good perimeter shooter, too.

Glad to see Gilmore get in. Brings back memories of the Colonels and pre-Jordan Bulls.

Draft saved Draft deleted