1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodman, Mullin in Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rodman won 7 rebounding crowns. One year he averaged 18 Rb's per game.

The guy knew the game and did a lot of great things on the court.

He clearly is a HOFer.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Only someone who doesn't place any value on rebounding and defense would dare claim that Rodman was never a star.

He was clearly the greatest rebounder of the modern post-merger era, in fact I'd say Moses Malone is the only guy who even comes remotely close to him for that title. He not only won 7 consecutive rebounding titles, but nobody else was even within spittin distance of him for several of those years. The guy averaged over 15 rpg for the better part of a decade straight (including a couple seasons over 18 rpg) during an era when teams took fewer shots per game than any other in league history, his rebound per shot attempt ratio during those years is something we may never see touched by anyone ever again.

And, btw, his rebounding records are all the more remarkable when you consider he did it with a body that was only about 6'7" and just a bit over 200 lbs.

I DO think Starman raised valid criticism about how the second half of his career he sacrificed other areas for his rebounding obsession. Early in his career Rodman was undisputably one of the best defenders in the League, an absolute nightmare to have covering you, and he twice won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1990 and 1991. But in later years that defensive prowess was largely subjugated to his single minded pursuit of boards. Valid criticism, yes, but not nearly enough to keep him out.

7 consecutive rebounding titles + 2 NBA Defensive Player of Year Awards + 5 World Championship rings = ABSOLUTE HOF lock.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Some of those Yugoslavia highlights with Divac passing to Kukoc and Petrovic were great to watch.

And Daugherty was an excellent player and passer -- cursed by injuries and the fact that he wasn't as hyped as a number 1 draft pick as Akeem, Ewing, Sampson and Manning. Think Sabonis was a cut above both as a passer.

I never saw Wilt play, but I know that he had great passing numbers.

4. Yeah.. defense isn't exactly synonomous with the NBA.
    Rodman was a great rebounder. ... ... ... .... .... ... He was a great rebounder.
    He also shot less than 50 percent from the floor for half his career and averaged less than eight points a game.

For a guy who got THAT many rebounds, esp. offensive rebounds, you might think his scoring average would have been a scoch higher.

5. Boom_70

Orville - no doubt you know popcorn in and out but you need some work on basketball.

6. Stoney,
    Do you think Rodman was better than Malone?

As you pointed out Malone was no slouch in rebounding, led the league for six years. He also averaged 20 points a game.

I don't put a lot of stock in Rodman's championships .. He won them as a cog on some great teams.
    He certainly helped Detroit, but he was icing on the cake for the Bulls.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

As an overall player, no, I certainly do not.

But that's not particularly relevant to the question of whether Rodman is HOF worthy. Moses was hardly a borderline HOF inductee, he was an HOF upper tier automatic. Rodman might not be a Moses level lock, but he's still EASILY above the minimum HOF threshold.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Divac should be in the Hall for his flopping skills alone.

9. I wonder if that is a European specialty?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rodman is the best defensive player the NBA has had for most of our lifetimes. His rebounding for a non-center was insane.

He deserved to sail into the HOF and I'm glad he did.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that Jordan did a great job making bit players look like good players. If Krause doesn't get into a pissing match with Jackson, Jordan probably stays in Chicago for another couple years and another couple championships.

12. Boom_70

Agreed. A nut but clearly knew how to play. Even the simple things like filling the lane on fast breaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted