1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodman, Mullin in Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 4, 2011.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If it is the "eyeball test" of whether a player is a HOF'er or not... I think Chris Mullin is very, very close but not of that caliber.

As for Rodman, a great teammate when he wanted to be. Ask the 1994 and 1995 Spurs how great of a teammate he was, banging Madonna and taking off his shoes during timeouts. Superb from 1989 to 1991 with Detroit and from 1996 to 1998 with Chicago.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, that's the biggest problem with Rodman: he never did much to make a bad team average or an average team a contender.

Once it was apparent he was playing on a team without a real good chance at the title, he basically took off his shoes and said "fuck you."

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Never saw Sabonis in his athletic prime, but was there ever a better passing big man? Walton was close.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wilton Norman Chamberlain comes to mind.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And there was about a four year period from around 89-92 when Mullin was a whole lot better than above average, he deserves to be in.

And, despite some valid criticism on this thread, Rodman does too. His rebounding numbers are simply too astounding to keep him out, particularly when combined with 5 championship rings.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Vlade Divac was excellent in that regard, too.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Divac was highly underrated as a passer, and as a player for that matter...

8. I'm not sure anyone in America saw Sabonis in his prime. He was 31 when he made it to the NBA and racked with injuries.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting take from Tribune's KC Johnson on Jerry Krause, and why he should be in the HOF.

Considering the man was the architect of one of the greatest teams in NBA history--assuming you believe the whole thing wasn't won by one guy wearing #23--does Krause belong?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0405-bulls-chicago--20110404,0,5838271.story

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have no problem with either Mullin or Rodman being in, I guess. They're kind of borderline. Reggie Miller - same thing. What's most surprising about this whole thing is how few candidates there are who are really worthy - I guess the greats go in right away, and there's no real backlog like there is in the other sports.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The basketball Hall also casts a wider net than the other Halls, since it considers college, women's and international basketball as well as the NBA. I'm sure Mullin is in primarily because of his college career.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

True. Another factor is the smaller rosters, and maybe the fact that you don't need star-level contributions from as many people in basketball. 3 all-star caliber stars on a top team is unusual - in other sports, it's low.

Draft saved Draft deleted