1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodman, Mullin in Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Everybody always sneers at one-dimensional gunners (i.e. Reggie Miller) who do one thing -- score -- yet Rodman was as much of a stat-padder as Miller or Dominique Wilkins or any other "designated shooter" who disregarded every other facet of the game to chase after statistics (rebounds in Rodman's case).

Rodman really was a great defensive player early in his career, but he became an average to poor defender late in his later years because he completely abandoned any concept of body defense, boxing out, or off-the-ball defense, to cherry-pick and run into open space after rebounds every time the ball went up, leaving his man unboxed and free to roam.

I read at some point an article showing that in his later years, the players Rodman was "guarding" actually had higher averages in scoring, rebounding (especially offensive) and FG percentages against him than in other games.

Basically you can get away with that shit when you play on the same team as the GOAT.

Oh, and they also forgot about Rodman quitting to the extent of throwing/tanking games when he wanted to force teams to trade/release him.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I am glad to see Rodman get enshrined. He was a fabulous player for a long time who did all of the little things that help a team win. Its easy to cite the antics but to let that color your view is laziness. He played solid, outstanding defense down low when he was giving up substantial physicial size and pursued the rebounds better than anyone else at that time. He got key, tough rebounds in huge games and he was a vital part of teams that won 5 championships.

Here's a guy who accepted his imitations and excelled. Congrats Mr. Rodman.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I second that.
    Judge them for what they did on the floor (or field of play). I don't see it as a joke if one great player doesn't get in right away. Reggie will get in next year, I'm not even worried about that. Rodman is a lot of things (went from a shy kid to a sideshow during his career), but he's one of the smartest players and one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

Starman, yes Rodman abandoned some of his defensive responsibility, but how in the fuck is his man going to get the rebound, when Rodman knows where the ball is going after it hits the backboard or the rim? His body of work will include his defensive prowess when he was with the Pistons and that's not going to change.

As far as this "one-dimensional" argument, there are a hell of a lot of players who are good in doing a specific "niche", whether it's to pad stats or not. Rodman has 5 NBA titles. Mullin and Miller combined has no titles and yet they were nominated and will be in the HOF is nothing to sneeze at.

In conclusion, I don't see an issue at all with this class and Reggie will be in next year. The idea that people are pissed about this and crying about it are people who either don't want to see a guy that can't stand get in; or will spend more time campaigning for someone who's going to be in anyway.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Starman, remember this thread? Your take then and your take now has definitely changed.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/76885/

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Actually his take seems to be almost exactly the same. Your lack of reading comprehension skill never fails to astound me.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well kiss my ass and call me Drip. It doesn't appear that way to me and a few others reading this over my shoulder. But I forgot, your reading comprehension is beyond approach.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Do you mind pointing out the ways in which his take has actually changed? Maybe you can get the imaginary people reading over your shoulder to help.

8. Starman

Looks pretty much exactly the same to me.

I thought maybe I logged on drunk one night and went on a "OMFG Rodman izGR8 LOL" posting binge, but no.

oh well

::) ::)

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

His certainly appears better than yours. You need to fire your over-the-shoulder readers, Starman's take there is strikingly similar to what he posted here.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A lot of people forget that Mullin was a three-time Big East Player of the Year, a feat made more impressive by the fact he beat out Patrick Ewing for the award all three times.

11. Starman

Yeah, it is the "Basketball Hall of Fame," not the "NBA Hall of Fame."

College counts.

Mullin was a great (yes, great) college player and a better-than average pro.

Wonder how many more players will make it primarily on the strength of their college careers. After Laettner (great college player, Olympic fraud/abomination, marginal NBA player) you have to figure there won't be too many.

Tyler Hansbrough maybe?

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Did anyone hear Phil Jackson criticize the voters for waiting so long to induct Tex Winter, and now he is recovering from a stroke and "not all there."

Draft saved Draft deleted