1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodeo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Jul 11, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

That's no different than mentioning a bucking horse is a roan gelding or a bay mare. The rodeo fans reading the story will know what you're talking about.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

We've got a high school in our coverage area that's the Brahmas. But, like previously mentioned, Brahmans is what AP style says.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The one and only time I tried riding a bull, it was a brahman. He slung me off and into the fence.

From then on, I stuck to horses.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Texas, it's pronounced BRAY-mer. Don't ask me why.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've read more rodeo stories than i'd like to admit, dog. nobody who knows what they're doing mentions the type of bull, really.

6. 0-fer

0-fer Member

That's all well and good. I'm just saying what I said: breeds are different, and a little detail is good.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so are saddles.

8. Why don't you make sure when you write about the saddle broncs or bareback broncos that you mention what the breeding is?

9. i honestly think a rodeo assignment would have driven me the hell out of the business

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I think that would be because most of the bulls are mix breeds. Red Rock was a Brahma-Hereford cross and that does nothing to telling me what the bull looks like.

But if the bull is a big-arse grey Brahma with a pronounced hump, it wouldn't be bad to add color to the story.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Brahman, dammit, brahman!

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You'd think that, but I covered it as an intern way back in the day, and came away with a front-page feature from what was a joke sports assignment.

And cowboys are polite and colorful interviews.

Give me rodeo over swimming or track any freaking day.

Draft saved Draft deleted