1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodeo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ARD

ARD Member

In bull riding, is the breed of bull a Brahma or a Brahman? I thought the latter, but even PBR.com lists both.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

AP Style says Brahman.

3. ARD

ARD Member

Ah. Under "Brahman" instyead of "Rodeo." Thanks!

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Brahma is a hindu god, isn't he?

I was always taught Brahman, but I don't that I trust my relatives to be right.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There is a high school here whose mascot is the Brahmas. They have a cow running around the sidelines. Not a Hindu god. (Insert own Hindu god joke here).

I remember from world history that the term "Brahman" referred to the highest caste of citizens in Indian culture (that's India Indian, not Native American Indian).

So I guess my answer is: I don't know, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

may i inquire to why you ask?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I looked it up.

Brahma = Hindu God of creation.

Brahman = the concept of supreme spirit in Hindu and a breed of bull.

All info courtesy of Wikipedia.

8. ARD

ARD Member

A writer used it, and I wanted to make sure he was right.

9. ARD

ARD Member

Yeah, I checked Wikipedia. But brahma came up so often that it was still troubling. On the Pro Bull Riders site, Googling "brahma site:pbrnow.com" produced 44 pages; "brahman site:pbrnow.com" produced 25. But cattle.com seemed to clinch it: all brahman, all the time. Gotta trust someplace called cattle.com, right? :)

10. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

[​IMG]

Oh, nevermind.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've never read a rodeo story that referred to what type of bull is ridden during a rodeo. that's like "saying" a football is made of pigskin in a game story.

12. 0-fer

0-fer Member

I disagree, Tom. It would be closer to saying "this football is made from (insert breed of pig here) skin, but even that fails to take into account the difference in bull breeds as opposed to pig breeds. The Brahman bull has a different appearance than other breeds, and I think it's good to have a little detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted