1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rod Carew, not a Jew

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Ran across an interesting website in an NYT article about the the Israeli baseball team trying to qualify for the World Baseball Classic www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/sports/baseball/team-israel-scouts-for-talent-and-jewish-ties.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

From the article: Scott Barancik runs the Web site www.jewishbaseballnews.com. He not only maintains a list of Jewish ballplayers, he publishes a feature called “Not a Jew,” meant to eliminate confusion caused by the Jewish-sounding names of non-Jews, like David Eckstein or Madison Bumgarner."

And from the Not a Jew tab: "In the 1970s ... many fans thought batting king Rod Carew was Jewish. Rumor had it his wife was a member of the tribe, his children were being raised Jewish, and Carew himself had converted. Adam Sandler’s “Chanukah Song“ rejuvenated the myth in the 1990s. Alas, while the first two claims were true, Carew never converted. And after divorcing, his ties to Judaism largely faded away. Thus, Jewish Baseball News concludes that Rod Carew is Not a Jew."

The site led me to www.jewornotjew.com.

A day late, but happy new year to my fellow Tribe members.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I'm crushed. I grew up in Minneapolis. I thought it was true.

Good yontif.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You still have the Coen Brothers.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Harrison Ford is one-quarter Jewish. Not too shabby

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And in the category of strange knack for total recall on stories I have read this was clear in the 1983 SI portrait that Ron Fimrite did on Carew:

"Race and religion weren't problems for the newlyweds. Carew agreed to have his children raised in the Jewish faith, and though he has never converted, he has done the reading, observes the holidays and, in Marilynn's opinion, is more religious than she is."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120933/1/index.htm

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My favorite was always Jose Bautista (not the Jays hitter), the pitcher from the late 80s and 90s. He was not only Jewish, he was pretty observant, Kosher home and all. His dad was Dominican and his mom was Israeli.

A second favorite is Elliot Maddox, who unlike Carew, converted and embraced the religion.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wade Boggs is an interesting one.

My all time favorite mix up is Bernie Kosar.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also Robert Zimmerman, AKA Bob Dylan.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Al Franken mourns with you.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Buncha posers.

Happy new year to the tribe, BTW.

Need to submit the fabulous LinZee to that site, on account of her Rosh Hashana announcement that she now loves Jesus.

Will probably save that for Thanksgiving, pending my sister's release from the county mental hospital.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

David Cone has said that he used to get fan mail addressed to him as David Kohn, from young Jewish kids, who assumed he was Jewish.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I decided to google this story to make sure I didn't just imagine it and this is what came up

It still cracks me up.

Draft saved Draft deleted