1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky week on AMC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Feb 9, 2011.

?

Which Rocky stands out atop your list?

1. Rocky I

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Rocky II

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Rocky III

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Rocky IV

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Rocky V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rocky VI

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

He had some good moments in III... like when Apollo asks if the Stallion can swim, and Paulie replies "With a name like Rock?"

Also, early in the second fight with Clubber, Rocky takes a mouthful of water and spits it in the general direction of Paulie, who is holding the bucket. Paulie wears most of it, and the look on his face is priceless.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

IV's fight could have never turned out that way. III, even if it was the start of the comic book era, was more believable (from set-ups to the fallout from Mickey's death to the fight). Yeah, in IV, I was cheering like a lot of others were in the theater. It just looks sillier with time, and that's not because the Cold War is over.

I'd like to know from the person who voted VI as the best, why? Rocky looked horrible compared to the chiseled physique of III and IV. That fight was even less realistic to me than IV was.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the way IV started that ref would've stopped the fight. No way, between Drago's early dominance and the political pressure, is the ref on the up-and-up.

Disagree with your take on VI, though. I liked how they didn't try to pretend Rocky was as sleek and fast as in the old days. Everything from the awesome "hurtin' bombs" speech to Mason Dixon breaking his hand early in the fight was designed to show that Rocky clearly was not the physical equal of a strong heavyweight champion in his prime.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Always loved that scene. I wonder if that was in the script, or just an accident that happened during filming that they left in?

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The part I've always found to be the biggest amount of bullshit is now Rocky absorbs two rounds worth of skull-crushing blows, with nary a mark. And then Drago is a bloody mess after one shot to the smush.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Drago would make short work of Clubber Lang.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thunderlips would whip both their asses!

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Watching III right now. Mickey with an all-time line:

"This guy'll kill ya ta death"

9. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Rocky (observing Thunderlips): "Jeez, what does this guy eat?"
    Mickey: "About 202 pounds."
    Announcer (introducing Rocky): "Weighing in at 202 pounds..."

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I defeat all man. Soon, I defeat real champion.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It took 31 posts for someone to mention Boxer vs. Wrestler in Rocky III?
    I'm ashamed of this board.
    THAT is what helped turn the series into a comic book. Rocky trying fight a wrestler with boxing gloves on? Gimme a break.

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

Boy, was Gorbachev pissed after that fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted