1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being savaged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Ironically, the paper's story that you just posted with the link is great journalism, IMO.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No jury would convict you.

3. jps

jps Active Member

and I wouldn't care if they did.

truth be told ... if I were in denver, I might still show up. and pretty sure that later tonight a letter will be fired off tot he rmn. used to want to work there.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No.

I hope Colorado's readers are happy. Between RMN doing this, and Dean Singleton's gross mismanagement that will sink his publications, there won't be much for the area's readers to absorb.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When you are typing -- and typing -- and typing -- and typing -- and typing -- you are not writing, and you most assuredly are not thinking.

I would rather read one 15-inch story/feature/column on this funeral tomorrow morning than to get a blow-by-blow of the separate acts involved in the overall funeral. Give me a superior writer, writing one time (not for blog + online + "second-day lead" print version), and I'll give you some money and your advertisers some eyeball time. But throw these inane IM-like observations at me and I'll drop you for all time like a bad habit.

I thought at-bat by at-bat, and down-by-down, blogs were wasted energy enough, driven by technology but not journalism. Seriously, with TV, radio and league Web sites, who wants to stare at their monitor to get the play-by-play of a game? And who wants to read a story later by a writer who was immersed in typing play-by-play inanities from the game's start to its finish?

But doing this from a funeral is off the charts. Next: Twittering an autopsy. "The skull cutter has opened what's left of JFK's cranium" ... "The nurse is swabbling blood away from the brain tissue" ...

BFD. People have fancy gadgets and can type on them what they see and hear. Try thinking and processing and providing some context and perspective and emotion and art to it, nimrods.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The person who wrote the story is not the person who twittered.

Berny Morson is the person who twittered and is hopefully now looking for work.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being sava

Bingo. That's all that needs to be said.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

WFF'nW

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

i'm a mother and a journalist....and if this ever happened to me, i would own the paper by the time I was done with lawyers.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, with respect to both of those roles, I don't think you'd get very far in any kind of civil action on this, as bad as it might have been. It was public funeral, and there's nothing actionable I can possibly think of here.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not the case, most of the time, with the big games, where the beat guy is supposed to live-BLOG!

Also, since we're all getting rid of staff, how do you justify covering a funeral with multiple people? Or, if you do, what else isn't getting covered today because of that?

12. jps

jps Active Member

but you can make the public hate them even more than they already do ... and to save that, rmn probably settles.

Draft saved Draft deleted