1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being savaged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

RMN meant well, but it's a funeral. A goddamn funeral. Have some decency, for Christ's sake. There are just some things you don't tweet.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've never heard of Twitter.

That being said, I did get a morbid rise out of this one comment left on the CI link:

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Facebook is the future. I have no idea what twitter is.

You don't do play-by-play from a funeral of a little kid. If you want to do a blog from it to let people know the mood or something like that, fine, but you don't treat a funeral like it's the third quarter of a Broncos game.

Fucking disgraceful.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Twitter must die. That is all.

Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

How disrespectful. Did the "reporter" ask the family's permission first? At my dad's funeral a few months back, a reporter from the local weekly came to the funeral home. She spoke to the funeral director first, and the funeral director asked us if it was OK if the reporter was there. She was very respectful and unobtrusive. I sat with her for a few minutes after the service to do a quick fact check. The resulting story was a really great recap of the funeral and my dad's life. I doubt very much that would have been the result if she had live blogged the ceremony.

6. Mizzougrad96

A blog can be done respectfully, even from a funeral.

This is play-by-play. If I was one of the parents of that kid, I would be looking for that reporter with a gun.

Anything short of mass firings will be grossly unacceptable.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But a vengeance killing would be OK.

8. Mizzougrad96

Don't be a douche, I'm making a point.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being sava

The tribe of DaSilva checks in at the Fayetteville Observer, where their 20-something new media writer says we all don't get it and there's nothing wrong with twittering a funeral:

Riiiight, THAT'S the problem. That we're not respecting tweets.

I just moved into Mizzou territory of anger.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/techsassy/2008/09/11/twethics/

10. Mizzougrad96

If that's the future of journalism, I will happily not be participating in any of it very soon...

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being sava

Followed by mass executions. Then maybe someone can twitter their funerals.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's funny that you will see high ranking editors these days get bent out of shape demanding video or blogs or whatever of events that they would not have even considered sending a reporter to a year or two ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted