1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being savaged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Would the family even now if it was pointed out by another media organization?

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being sava

Agreed. If the newspaper did a live webcast of the funeral, that's fine, as long as the family doesn't object. It's about using the right tool for the right job. Twitter is far from an abomination, and it can be great for disseminating useful news and drawing audience when used correctly. For instance, if you're covering next year's Macworld -- where people online all over the world will be hanging on every word, eagerly awaiting the next tidbit that comes from the event -- twitter is a great way to serve their needs. For a funeral, twitter is just the wrong tool. There is no real news coming out of it, and 140-word posts rarely are able to convey the emotion of the event, which is really the whole point of covering a funeral. This was a misuse of technology, compounded by poor execution.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being sava

Agreed, on that point.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At a graveside service, anyway. Now, if you're at a Southern Baptist church ... oh, shit! I just kicked your phone into the Baptismal pool! Totally sorry, bro!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am sure his web editor got a woody out of it...

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

keep preaching mizzou. reporter? fired. editor? fired.

7. Are you saying they were fired? Because I hope to hell they were.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I disagree with every breath in my decaying body. But rather than rant, I'll ask this:

Would you feel the same if the folks pushing the edge of the envelope were radio guys, play-by-play and analyst, providing live coverage of the funeral?

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

nope, i'm saying they need to be fired. this makes me sick.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I would be very interested to see a matrix for how the posters on this thread break down on "it's despicable / it wasn't handled perfectly but they'll do better" and "parents / childless".

Mizzou and I would usually have trouble agreeing on what day of the week it is, but he has this nailed.

Vigilantism, Ace? Allow me to suggest that Mssrs. Temple and Morson should never touch this topic again until they've had a reporter tweet their own child's funeral. For the record, I'll hope that's never.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Please, dear god, let us not turn this into another i-have-procreated-so-my-opinion-is-more-valid-than-yours thread again. I think we've had enough. Pretty please. :-\

We've all had loved ones die -- death is universal for everybody. So is grieving. And there's plenty of issues to discuss here without getting into THAT debate again.

12. This has disgusted me from the minute I read it. And I don't have children, and I'm offended that you seem to think someone has to have a family to half a heart or a sympathetic bone in their body.

All you have to have is a soul. Do you?

Draft saved Draft deleted