1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News for sale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I was working on the Front Range, I went out of my way to track down copies of the Rocky on my days off. Always liked it more than the Post.

Fuck Scripps gently with a chain saw.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... uh, Dean, you're about thisclose to sincerity.

Dean can't wait for it to close to justify massive cuts once his competition has been pared down.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly right.
    He has right of first refusal on a sale. And he's quoted as saying if he buys it, it will be to shutter the paper.

Direct quotes.

“We left open the possibility of Scripps buying The Post if they wanted to be here more than us. But it became clear some time ago Scripps lost its stomach for newspapering in Denver, and we’d end up the last man standing here.”

And

“We have a right of first refusal on the News and its 50 percent of the Denver Newspaper Agency. We certainly want the 50 percent of the agency, but we would not publish the News.”

4. Well to be honest, for $500 you could buy several of the hats and wear them all you want. LOL.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

For another $50, can he borrow your spit cup???

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

He can't possibly have the money available to pull that off. He's already leveraged up to his eyeballs, isn't he?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes.

And god help us all if he finds a lender idiotic enough to let him do it again.

8. Four days in intensive care end of spring training 2002 -- blood pressure at 52/19 and 11 pints of blood -- led to the end of 38 years with the spit cup.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God almighty... 11 pints?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

God, did that mean we had to read Jack Etkin for a full week? ;D

11. Bleeding ulcer. Kept me out the opening week of the 2002 season. Three tins of cope a day, I guess, can do that to you. That's what happens when you grow up with coal miners (wasn't a habit that came from baseball) and cowboys.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Whew. ... 11 pints! Your old buddy Gordie would have preferred 11 pints of Jack Daniels.

Draft saved Draft deleted