1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jessiehnunery, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jessiehnunery

jessiehnunery New Member

The Rocky Mount Telegram, a 12,000 daily circulation paper in Eastern North Carolina, seeks a talented and versatile member to join our sports department. We cover 11 high schools, Division III North Carolina Wesleyan, and occasionally, the ACC.
    The next hire will do all of the above in an area where story options are endless.
    We are a department of three (two writers, editor). The writer likely will spend 75 percent of the time producing content, with the rest sharing some desk work.
    This has always been a good job, despite the turnover every few years. Writers have left the Telegram and moved on to the next stage of opportunities (Raleigh News & Observer, Winston-Salem Journal, Fangraphs.com, Toledo Blade, to name a few).
    We'll make a decision on this hire rather quickly considering the timing of the year.
    Send 3-5 diverse clips of your work to Sports Editor Jessie H. Nunery (jhnunery@rmtelegram.com).
    No phone calls, but yes, you can stalk us on Twitter.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

You're going to be working with high-quality people. Jessie is one of the nicest people in the business and he's churned out five D-I beat writers in the last three years.

Michael Prunka likes this.
  3. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

I am the guy on the way out. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at ejoyce@rmtelegram.com.

4. Allen Perkins

Allen Perkins New Member

John, I just sent you an email. Thursday, 11:45 PM CST. Thank you for being willing to answer questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted