1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram Sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jessiehnunery, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jessiehnunery

jessiehnunery New Member

The Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram, an award-winning daily, seeks a talented, versatile sports journalist for its sports staff.

The successful candidate will be able to break news, write compelling features, copy edit and design.

The person we hire will be detail-oriented and ambitious with a commitment to accuracy. Must be able to work efficiently on deadline.

We cover 10 area high schools, a local Division III college and occasionally the Atlantic Coast Conference, specifically Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State.

Experience with multimedia is necessary, and experience with Adobe InDesign is a plus. Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution, as well as a rock-solid understanding of grammar and AP style.

Recent alumni currently work at USA Today, The Raleigh News and Observer, Charlotte Magazine, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette,Scout.com and the Toledo Blade, among others.

If interested, send an email with “sports writer opening” as the subject, as well as your resume, cover letter and up to five clips to Sports Editor Jessie H. Nunery at jhnunery@rmtelegram.com.

We'll move quickly on this one.

Our latest departure is heading to a Division I basketball beat.

2. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

I'm the guy leaving. Can't announce where I'm headed yet, but I am more than happy to answer any questions about this job. You will be working with two outstanding guys in the sports department and several amazing people across the entire newsroom.

josh.walfish@gmail.com

wfl likes this.
  3. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

And I'm the other writer on staff. I joined a couple months ago, so I'm still learning my way around. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions: ejoyce@rmtelegram.com

This place has been such a blast for me so far.

wfl likes this.
  4. BravesFan10

BravesFan10 New Member

What's the pay like for this? And what type of hours given there's several sports people on staff?

5. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Pay = a little
    Hours = a lot
    It's a journalism job, BravesFan10.

6. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

Salary is dependent on experience, you'll work the normal 40 hours per week.

Draft saved Draft deleted