1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram Sports Reporter/Designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by benjones, May 9, 2008.

1. benjones

benjones New Member

The Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram, an award-winning daily, seeks a talented journalist with strong writing, reporting, editing and design skills for its Sports department. This position is for an aggressive, hard-working individual who regularly meets lofty goals. The position requires someone who is versatile, able to handle an assortment of different duties. We cover all levels -- recreational to professional -- and have beat writers for North Carolina State, North Carolina and Duke who also cover 11 high schools, the local Division III college, Double-A Carolina Mudcats, Carolina Hurricanes and Carolina Panthers. The staff also shares page design duties. Must have strong grammar and fact-checking abilities, and must be familiar with AP style. InDesign experience is a plus. Must work well on deadline and be ready to work nights and weekends. Must have a college degree. Must have a good understanding of the digital movement and how to prioritize the Internet as a medium. Multimedia experience is a plus. Most alumni have moved on to larger, prominent newspapers/publications. The Telegram is part of the Cox Newspapers chain, which includes The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Send resume, cover letter, references and five to eight diverse clips to show a spectrum of writing skills. Two to five tear sheets, showing design skills, is preferred as well.

Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Ben Jones
    Sports Editor
    Rocky Mount Telegram
    1000 Hunter Hill Road
    P.O. Box 1080
    Rocky Mount, NC 27802
    bjones@coxnc.com

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A first-job type of job, but you could do worse. Raleigh's an hour away, a straight shot down U.S. 64 to I-540. What happened to N.C. Wesleyan's baseball program? Once was the time they were like Florida State or Miami for the D-III set.

3. benjones

benjones New Member

The Battling Bishops are still good/talented, but just not enough right now. They have a good coach who took them to the WS two years ago.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

This is my former position.

Ben has been here just about two years, and in that time we have dramatically altered the section's goals and everyday appearance. The Telegram was an honorable mention Sunday section in APSE this year, the first time the section had been recognized by APSE.

I will add one thing, because so often the allure of the ACC is used to entice applicants, who find out later on coverage means showing up at a game once in a while, on your own dime. We cover the ACC, plain and simple. You will be at Monday press conferences, and expected to hold your own against guys who have been doing it as long as you have been alive. You will be at every football home game, and 80 percent of basketball home games. You are going to write features and you will be expected to break news. And yes, you will do this while also laying out the section and juggling the multitude of prep sports. It can be, and has been, done.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What's the staff size nowadays, app?

And congrats on the new gig, wherever that may be.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Four full-timers and three part-timers.

Thanks. It's been a heck of a ride here, and I am looking forward to a new opportunity.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I can add that they do cover the NHL's Hurricanes. App and I hung out in the RBC Center before many a Hurricane game before I left the great state of N.C.
    Good luck man!

8. I can assure anyone who is interested in this job that Ben Jones is a first-rate editor, and would be a great person to work under for a young writer breaking into the biz. He has a lot of passion for his work and will push his writers hard, but he always focuses on how to make them better in the process. I've seen a lot of growth in each of his writers since he has been in Rocky Mount, as evidenced by App's new gig and their APSE recognition this year. He certainly does not treat the paper like a small rural daily, but instead expects to perform on a level higher than the circulation suggests. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Congrats on the move, App!

9. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

Many fine writers have come through this shop since I began reading it online a few years back. Get your stuff in now.

Congrats on the move, App. Where are you headed?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

app, where are you going?

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I'll be headed to Bloomington in a few weeks.

Potential applicants -- feel free to pm me. And while it is permissible to send your clips/design samples via e-mail, Ben does prefer the conventional route.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

First, congrats, App -- and good luck, Ben, on the new hire.

Since I left, there's been a steady stream of talented folks getting the basics in
    Rocky Mount and moving on. In fact, there are two of us ex-Telegram folks here at Darlington this weekend: Jeff Gluck (NASCAR Scene) and myself (NASCAR.COM).

It's just about Post 58 American Legion baseball time there.

Say hey to Charles Alston and have Bernie Capps save me a Sundrop.

-- Mark

Draft saved Draft deleted