1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Marathon Alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jul 4, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I see Spike TV is running the Rocky series in sequence. No. 2 just started at 11:30 a.m. EST

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haven't we suffered, enough?

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Ben: "Rocky Balboa" has earned more than $150,000,000 world-wide, so some of us have "suffered" plenty.

Loved the first two, III and IV were so-so in a comic-book kind of way, V was awful, but the finale took me back to the first two.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I hate No. 2. I just realized this. Although, I don't think it's the movie, it's Adrianne. She's the worst character EVER.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

SSS: LOL, I see your point. But to me, the fight in II is the best in cinema history. Of course, Apollo is my favorite character in the series, so I admit, my opinion is a bit partial.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I like Burt Young as Rodney Dangerfield's sidekick in Back to School better than any of his appearances in the Rocky movies.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Does anybody recall in the 1980s hearing about Stallone's interest in making a movie about Edgar Allen Poe? For my college paper, I wrote a brief about it and ran it under this header:

Yo, Poe

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

JD: Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Stallone still has that Poe film on his agenda.

Love the header!

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Apollo Creed is the best boxer in movie history. Carl Weathers looked and moved more like a real fighter than anyone I can think of.

Loved I and III more than the rest. Clubber Lang was a great heel.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Huggy: Agreed on Creed! In the commentary on the special-edition version of the original, Bert Sugar says Creed's jab is better than most professional boxers... and he was even better in II!

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If I had to rank the Rocky movies it would go like this........

I -- Could make a strong case that this is one of the five best sports movies ever made.

VI -- It was actually a well-written drama about a burned out old boxer's last hurrah

II -- Story was a bit contrived and smelled a little too much like cashing in on I's success, but a good movie nonetheless.

III -- Any theatrical production with Mr. T in it can't be all bad. And Rocky going to the ghetto to train was pretty good little twist.

IV -- OK, this is where they started to lose me. A guy can punch like 80 times harder than the normal human being, hits Rocky (who by now is what 35 or 40) about 1000 times in the head and can't knock him out. Not too mention the over-the-top patriotism and the trite little "let's all get along" speech at the end. Not a very good movie, but hell, it is Rocky so of course I watch it every time it is on.

V -- I don't even know where to begin with this idiocy. Tommy Morrison's character made no sense, nor did Rocky losing his mind and nearly losing his family as well, nor did the ridiculous promoter guy and the most ridiculous street brawl ever -- complete with TV cameras -- is an asinine end to a complete train wreck of a film. Of course, since it is a Rocky Movie, I watch it every time it is on......

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I is one of my favorite movies of all time. Relating it to another "sexiest full clothed scenes" thread, re: when Adrienne goes into Rocky's greasy shambles for the first time and he makes his move on her, and at the end of the scene they end up swapping love honey near the front door. The way he reeled her in after his joke-telling courting in the pet store was terrifically written.

Draft saved Draft deleted