1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Balboa ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 17, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and loved it. From the opening bars of the Rocky theme to the final shot after seeing all the random people running up the steps of the Philly Art Museum, it far exceeded my expectations. A much better ending to the series than Rocky V.

One goof up that I noticed: In one of the later scenes at the restaurant, Spider Rico, one of Rocky's former opponents who starts washing dishes at the restaurant, walks past Rocky and says something (I forget exactly what it was). Rocky says, "Thanks, Pedro," which is the name of the actor (Pedro Lovell -- who played Spider Rico in the first movie as well), not the character.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Spider was a nickname. Maybe Pedro is just the character's real first name.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's what I chalked it up to initially. I noticed he called him Pedro and thought, "Hm ... so that's Spider's first name." But when I looked up the cast list on IMDB today (I wanted to see if Little Marie was played by the same girl from 1976 -- she wasn't), I saw the actor's name is Pedro Lovell. Since Spider is at no other time referred to as Pedro (at least not that I can remember), I think it's a goof.

4. busdriver

busdriver Member

Damn wish I was that good to catch little things like that, but that was cool that you caught it, still can't wait to see it. And from what I read on here it looks like I will again be glued to the screen, Rocky rocks

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Cream of the Crop on rottentomatoes is giving it 79% fresh.

That, plus the good reviews from the cynics here - Wow.

I hadn't planned on seeing it, then it was 'catch it on cable,' now I'm draggin' my butt to the theater.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Look, the only damn reason this movie is getting good ratings is because people forgot about the first one, which this one is patterned after a great deal. Otherwise, it's simply unrealistic. Stallone isn't in his early 50s like Foreman, and sure as hell ain't in good shape. His corner looked like the geezer patrol. This one left reality well into the movie. At least Rocky I was believable.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since when does a boxer have to appear to be in good shape to be successful.

Remember George Foreman?

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hell, Foreman still looked decent compared to Bullboa.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The whole series is simply unrealistic. You mean a heavyweight champ is going to give some bum a title bout on the Bicentennial, in his hometown? And that bum can take him the distance?

Given the reactions of myself and others here, I'd say any success this movie has is BECAUSE of the first one. The good will from the first Rocky was large enough to survive four crappy sequels, and Stallone is blatantly trading on it for this one. The thing is, I don't mind.

To get all Rumsfeld-ian: does "Rocky Balboa" push the limits of logic in practically every scene? Why, yes it does. Is "Rocky Balboa" a shameless attempt at emotional button-pushing, particularly the buttons of anyone who liked the first movie? By golly, yes. Is "Rocky Balboa" a barely-disguised cry for help and loved by a washed-up lug who pissed away his fame and fortune through bad movies and even worse personal conduct? Oh my, yes. Does it all still work to create an entertaining and emotional movie? Sure it does!

10. Slash

Slash Member

Ive seen thelm all. I got the first one on DVD for Xmas, but I wasnt going to see this one because V was sooooooooooooo bad (except for when he beat Tommy Morrison up in the parking lot). I am very surprised it is getting good reviews. I think I will wait until it hits DVD, though.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stallone ain't in good shape?

I've never seen a 60-year-old look more in shape.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sophia Loren was 60 in "Grumpier Old Men." :eek: ;D :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted