1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Balboa ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Will anyone see this movie .. in the theater?

Sly at 60, fighting again?

Actually, maybe YOU will see it to avoid the media who'll be clamoring to meet YOU after winning Time's Man of the Year award.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The fact that the opponent is named Mason Dixon tells you all you need to know about the craptacularity that will ensue.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Supposedly the story this time is somewhat unique and comes from an interesting premise. Apparently Rocky is like Mike Tyson was in video games once upon a time, and so now they debate how he'd do in this era, so he sets up an exhibition that the champ doesn't take seriously.

Bottom line is it's another damn Rocky, who is about 600 years old by now. And Stallone can't talk so much as mumble his words out like he's battling a bout of bells pallsy. And this is almost guaranteed to suck ass.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then why not name the opponent Pizza Pasta instead?

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Or Glass Joe?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nah . . . . needs to be a higher caliber.

Soda Popinski, for instance.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My favorite was always beating Piston Honda. And Don Flamenco.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

For a ton of reasons, which I won't bore you with here (at least, right now), this movie is extremely important to me.

The fact it appears to have the look, feel and the story level of the first two films makes it that much so.

If I've got the stones, I'll elaborate later.

To say, though, that I'm looking forward to seeing this would be an understatement.

Be safe, my friends.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oooh...that was mysterious.

I'll say one thing for this one. At least they got a real actor to play Rocky's kid, the guy who plays the younger Petrelli brother on Heroes.

I'll watch when it hits cable...maybe...

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The original script for this thing wasn't bad, from what I understand.

But for some unknown reason, the production was rushed through damn near every stage and everything got all screwed up. Half the script was rewritten, several characters were cut, some others were added and the whole thing became a joke.

Ah well, Sly'll make a few bucks and the Rocky franchise will close down for good. Just as well.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Rocky Balboa is getting pretty good reviews...at least the couple I've read.

I probably won't pay to see it in the theater... but probably on Netflix or cable.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This morning's paper had a lengthy article on the movie.
    Supposedly it was written and ready to go seven years ago, but for a variety of reasons it was held. The movie is supposed to be surprisingly decent and was done as an apology for Rocky V.
    Another gem in the article is that another Rambo is coming out. Rambo IV: In the Eye of the Serpent.

Draft saved Draft deleted