1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Rockford Files' remake on the way (2012 EDIT: Now maybe a movie?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: 'Rockford Files' remake on the way

Yeah but Angel was hyper, too.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One good thing about Angel, his backstory and ethnic background are blurry enough you could cast almost anybody in the part, if he could carry off the goofy/squirrelly part.

I would guess the new storyline, instead of having Jim Rockford as a Korean War vet who was in prison in the 1960s and doing PI work in the mid-1970s, will have him as a Desert Storm vet.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

All you need to know: Angel worked at his brother-in-law's newspaper.

o-<

4. Starman

Which was having financial problems. :eek: :eek:

At least one of the storylines involved Jimbo getting Angel to plant a phony obituary in the paper to dupe the crook.

In another episode, Jim posed as a reporter for a sensationalist tabloid (it was supposed to be a takeoff of the National Enquirer, but you could do it with the NY Post-type tabs, too).

Several other episodes (and at least one of the reunion movies in the late 1990s) involved journalism as a major part of the storyline.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hey, Rockfish!

[​IMG]

6. Starman

Michael Clarke Duncan.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

God, I hope they don't do this. There are certain classics in movies nd TV that can never be remade properly. Rockford is one of those.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I said "whack the NBC management team." Failure to whack Jeff Zucker is failure in execution.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Which the Cheeto-fingered Wikiposter got from this site: http://www.thesandbox.net/arm/rockford/answering_machine/index.html

Had it bookmarked for years. When I'm having a day so shitty that nothing makes me feel good, I look up that site.

10. Starman

I've got the whole original series on DVD, so if the new series sucks, I just won't bother to watch it. It won't affect my enjoyment of the original series one little bit.

Once again, it would be nice if all TV shows were brilliantly-conceived original ideas, but that's not the way life works these days.

I give them credit for actually trying to do a dramatic series intstead, once again, another heaping helping of reality-series shit, and also, if you're going to remake a show, at least pick a good one.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They'd better just use the theme song from the original and not re-boot it with a pop, funk, hip-hop, trip-hop or Cali punk bent to it. Greatest theme song ever.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted